Can I legally do this?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by zmt5176, Mar 28, 2006.

1. zmt5176

zmt5176 LawnSite Member

Hey, I'm new to this site and I have a question I was hoping I could get some answers about. I've never owned a lawncare business. I am in college studying to be a teacher and big goal of mine is to start my own lawncare business within the next 2 years to supplement my job here in Pennsylvania. However, at this point in time I'm just trying to make some extra money. So, here is the question. I have a hookup who works for the township and I can get mulch for free andytime i want. I have a truck and everything, so getting and hauling the mulch wouldn't be a problem. I came up with the idea to go around and do a little advertising with doorhangers or fliers and try to get a few mulching jobs. I figure it's early spring and a lot of people would be willing to pay me to spread their mulch so they don't have to do it. Like I said, I don't have a business and this would just be an under the table thing and I was wondering if it's even legal. I have yet to start doing this, because I know if you have a business you need a business license. I'm not really trying to start a full blown business at this point I would just like to do a little work and maybe get my feet wet. If anybody can help me out and give me a little feedback i would appreciate it. I'm just not looking to get myself in any kind of trouble.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Anytime you make money....you pay taxes. Plain and simple. What are you going to teach? History? Government? Business? Economics? Society? Ethics?
    I was more caught up attentionwise with the "mulcH' deal that is coming from the "hookup" at the township. What type of mulch is this?

3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Anytime you work "under the table" it is illegal...

That said...do what you gotta do...

4. D and H Seasonal Services

D and H Seasonal Services LawnSite Member
    from SE, Pa

Where are you in Pa

5. soccer911

soccer911 LawnSite Member

You can claim your mulch income on your personal taxes at the end of the year. You can pay in at that time or if you would receive a return you could elect to have you business taxes taken out of that total. Just an Idea:)

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Why don't you work a take out window for extra cash:clapping: That way you wont break any laws:hammerhead:

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

This will never happen:hammerhead:

8. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You can get mulch here for free also, but don't know if you would want to put it in a clients yard. The landfill here gives it away for free. It's not the best though.

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here you will be turned in for it, cause your not paying taxes on what you claim as profit.

10. BLS 2002

BLS 2002 LawnSite Member

Start keeping track of all your expendatures (ins-outs) just like you would any other business. You don't need a business license to spread mulch or mow grass. Just need to claim it on your taxes. It's called a schedule C form you fill out at the end of the year. At least that's how it is in MD. So yes it is legal if you claim it.