Can I make a 4 speed transmission quicker?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EliteImpressions, Jun 15, 2008.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I have a 4 speed transmission for an older 32" Toro Proline. Is there anyway I can get it to go quicker or should I just get a new transmission or a new mower?
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

4th is PLENTY fast on this mower. you cant possiably get a decent cut in 4th any way. its just for transport.
  3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

toro once offered a tire that was two inches larger (15" vs. 13") in diameter for the Proline wb's. Don't know where it could be found, but that would increase ground speed about 15%, a little over 5 mph vs. 4.5 mph.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Before you splurge on a new tranny the metal plate with the gear numbers that has that slot where the shifter must go through... I wonder if that slot is wide enough or the correct size for a 5-speed... Because it wouldn't be much fun if, after an afternoon of installing a $200 5-speed one finds that at the very far right end the gear shifter can't go any further to the right but it's still only in 4th...

Another thing I noticed, 5th gear is faster on a 5-speed than 4th on a 4, but 4th on the 5-speed is slower than 4th on the four, so the 4-speed really isn't that slow... Slower yes, but once I got used to the speed of 5th I wondered again if there was a way to make it faster still, so there's that problem is how fast is fast enough?

That was years ago...
    Over that time I found 5th gear to be one awful rough speed to be going if say the mower's deck happens to clip something, like a tree stump... I used to use 5th all the time but more and more I find myself using 4th, the speed of that high gear is too fast at least from a safety standpoint.

So I would just keep using it as is, if it might be holding you back some but...
  5. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I actually found a 2004 48" with maybe 200hrs at most for $1400. It wasnt even worth trying to mess with the transmission or tires for the deal I got on the 48".

Thanks for the replys though.
  6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Elite, have you checked your engine rpms? You may have room to adjust it up a little. I am not advising going above what is recommended but sometimes a mower is sent out at a lower rpm lower than it is spec'd for. Or your rpms may have dropped over time due to wear in throttle linkage or cable. I raised my exmark from 3450 to just shy of 3600 and there is a very noticeable difference in ground speed in third gear.