can i make it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SKEE, Nov 17, 2001.

1. SKEE

SKEE LawnSite Member
    from ALABAMA

Hey everyone ,

I've been a member of lawnsite for a while now, but this is my first post. I don't own a Lawn Care company, but it's something I've been considering starting for a while now. Looking around the area that I live in I see so many people out mowing with run down trucks and 21"mowers and I have to wonder if these are the "scrubs" everyone always talks about. If I was going to start my own company, I would want it to be a respectable organization, and I just don't see how it is possible to compete with people like this. Do most businesses really care about professionalism or do they just want the cheapest price? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Depends on the market, or rather the neighborhood. People in some areas think you'll just charge too much if you have a new truck and new equipment. Other neighborhoods won't give you the chance to bid if you have a '72 rustbucket and an old Craftsman. You need to do some market research in your area. Look in the phonebook to see who's out there (as far as non-scrubs) then you need to find out what these guys charge. Call them all if you want. Have them come to your home and give you a price. Check out their equipment and see how it adds up.
    If your town is overrun with lowballers who don't pay taxes and insurance, it would be more difficult to get profitable accounts.
    Good luck!;)

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Skee if you are looking to start your own outfit even if its a part time situation I would recommend that you always keep professionalism at the top of your list.

Professionalism is not about owning the highest quality equipment or the most recently available vehicles and technologically advanced trailers -LOL!!!

People that are interested in receiveing a service are looking to get the most bang for their buck. Homeowners are more particular generally speaking than a Commercial or Industrial account.

More so a C/I account will want someone who is mid-range pricewise that provides more quality services within their budgets.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

It'll never work, and...

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Ok I'm better now.

Later,
    Ken

5. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

well said kris, SKEE, what part of al are you in?

6. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

"Real" LCO's that are located close enough to associate with, but not close enough to compete with and ask them if there are any local associaitions or groups of LCO's you can go to talk with.

Also talk with your commercial equipment dealers. They usually stay somewhat nuetral.

7. SKEE

SKEE LawnSite Member
    from ALABAMA

Vipermanz,

Im located in Mobile, Alabama

8. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

You can make it. Just remember it takes skill, patience, practice, patience, money, patience, luck, patience, word of mouth advertising, patience, time.
    But you can make it.

9. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Give it try dont be afraid of failer nothing happens overnight.

10. deason

deason LawnSite Member

Never know till you try.

Quality work and dependability will be your building blocks. From then on your wisdom will come from experience, along with knowledge of the industry.