Can I make Money on This Job?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Wil22, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Wil22

Wil22 LawnSite Member

I had a call from a Dr. who may become a regular client ask me to clear this lot. I work solo and my question is , how would you do this job and please give me a ball park figure on this price.

I thought about walking away from this but now I'm thinking about ding this one. The Doctor said there are others in this new sub-division who want the same work done. They asked 'How Much does he charge?"

I thought about Prodigy from home depot, but that's not going to work. Then I thought about a Bob Cat, but another LCO told me that would be over kill.

Now I'm thinking about a Brush Hog, never used one before. I'm thinking a chain saw, brush hog and a day worker, 4-5 hours.

The deminsions are 60 ft by 75 ft. A lot of broken limbs on the ground.

Brush 010.jpg

Brush 002.jpg

Brush 004.jpg

Brush 008.jpg

Brush 009.jpg

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

thats land clearing work, i dont think a bush hog would work at all in that.....chainsaw and a big chipper is what ide use.

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You want a Skid Steer with a carbide cutter attachment:

[​IMG]

4. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

does clearing mean removing stumps. If not then I figure 1200-1500 if you can just chip it there and leave it.

5. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The Pics suck...no offense...

Looks like chainsaw and brushcutter (NOT to be confused with a brush hog) to me...Rent a chipper...leave the stumps...will take longer than 4-5 hours...

6. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... At lease a 30 hp four wheel drive tractor with a tooth bar attached to the bucket and a chain saw. Along with a lot of stamina, that will do it :).

7. CutRight

CutRight LawnSite Senior Member

i would use my 12,000 lb excavator, a chipper, a chainsaw, and a few laborers.

8. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I agree better rethink that 4-5 hour thing if your going to do it with a chainsaw and chipper. Do you know what his expectations are on clearing this lot? Does he want everything cleared stumps brush etc. or just the under brush just to open it up a little.

9. Keytee04

Keytee04 LawnSite Member

First things first... Doctors and Lawyers have large bank accounts because they don't like to part with it. Those professions seem to be the last in line to pay their bill. Also, this is going to take alot longer than 4-5 hours even with another person. Give a written estimate in detail (stumps ground or not?, brush removed or just chipped up and left?) Get a signature. This could be one of those jobs you severely underbid and get burned. Just some cautious advice.

10. DreamscapeDesigns

DreamscapeDesigns LawnSite Member

Our company does a lot of this type of work, in fact we have one crew almost 100% doing this.. Give me som every detailed info on what is to be done. I dont care about what not to do.. Just the specs the cust has I will post a bid in spreadsheet format tommarow if you get it on here by morning.. You are way low from the little info I got now.