Can I overseed St Augustine with Rye?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by outrunjason, Sep 19, 2002.

1. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I never get the chance to overseed cuase no one wants to do it. But, this year I have some customers that want it done. One of them has St. Augustine.

So, Can I scalp and overseed St. Augustine with Rye?

Thanks, Jason

2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

3. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

Here in Florida people overseed with rye all the time. I have never seen any one scalp it though. Just do a good mow and then seed. I really don't understand why it is done here because you can keep it green all winter unless the temperature is severe. I don't know what your weather is like in TX but thought it was similar to FL

Good luck

4. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Lee:

The St. Augustine in our area (Houston) goes dormant in the winter. It is not uncommon to have 2-3 freezes at night each winter. I do not know about further south in the Rio Grande valley, but here it goes dormant. So a lot of model homes in new subdivisions will overseed with rye to keep the grounds appealing for prospective new home buyers.

5. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Yes, you can overseed it. I'd only recommend a perrenial rye. It has a nicer color and doesn't grow as crazy. You risk inconsistant coverage since St. Augustine has alot of thatch. It would be difficult to have a good seed/soil contact. Good luck.

6. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I used Rye on a couple of yards last year. I SWORE I'd never do it again!!!! Maybe the perinnal rye was where I went wrong.

7. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

Are you saying the perrenial rye was the problem? Usually it's annual rye that causes such thoughts.

8. outrunjason

outrunjason LawnSite Senior Member
    from dallas

I will be overseeding tomorrow the first lawn ever. I am going to cut the St. Augustine short and then overseed with rye right aftet that. Then water it I guess.

Thanks, Jason

9. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

I would not scalp st. Aug. In fact this time of year I raise the deck to allow photosynthesis. St, Aug spreads by above ground runners, thus scalping may kill it. The only warm season turf I would overseed would be Bermuda.

if you do overseed you better have a plan for the transition in spring or the turf will look bad.

10. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I went wrong by using annual rye.
    The transition in the spring was NOT good at all. The only good part was I was mowing at Christmas!!!