Can I pass up a used BlueBird 530 aerator for $400.00

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by tamo, Jan 28, 2008.

1. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

I was at my rental place today and I ask if they have any used equipment for sale. They have a 2003 bluebird 530 with the 4hp Honda for $400.00, they don't have a count on hours. It wasn't on site and I still have too look at it.

I know they rent equipment to all sorts so its probably seen some wear and tear but I'm thinking its probably too good a deal to pass up.

Anyone else even buy used from a rental shop, how'd your purchase turn out?
    Is this a good deal?

2. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, it doesnt hurt to check it out when it comes on in. And just take a look if its worth 400 to you then hey its worth it. Because your the one buying it. Around here they sell for around 800-900 used.

So good luck.
  3. Earthworks Landscaping

Earthworks Landscaping LawnSite Member

if it has the 4hp honda, get it. Mine has a ton of hours on it and it runs great!! $400.00 is a pretty good deal unless the cores are all bent up. i bought all of my 4 aerators used and they all work great!!
  4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I bought a Bluebird aerator H530A (i think that's the model) from a rental shop for $800. It has a Honda on it. It is in great shape and I feel like it was a good deal. Rental shops tend to take care of their equipment, in my experience. Definitley go look at it. For $400 you can hardly go wrong.
  5. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought one from home depot to replace the one that was stolen from us this past summer. I paid 650.00 for it and it is well worth the money we paid for it. As long as the its not wobbling too much take it. I still have a bluebird we bought from a shop 9 seasons ago. Its one of the smaller bluebirds from back in the day. We just put another engine on it this past summer. Next we buy a plugr aerator.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Do make sure it's a CORE aerator...
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Thats what I paid for mine, $400 each used ex rentals. Few minor probs over time but worth the 4 bills.
  8. tamo

tamo LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses.

I talked to the sales guy again today and he said this is a machine that is out of one of their branches out on the coast so it didn't see a ton of use relatively speaking.

They're going to ship it to my area and I'm going to take a look at it.

I have to say it will be nice to not have to rent. I did a group of aerations in each the spring and fall last year when I could bunch them up and made good money. I did have to pass on several random calls to aerate because I had to price too high to compensate for the rental fee.