Can i Prune a Crate Myrtle NOW

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by clyde, Aug 11, 2005.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that wants me to prune this thing now like in about 2 weeks. Its a big one... its about 25ft tall and its an older one .... when the trunks look like they have muscles.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

It's Crepe Myrtle.. not Crate Myrtle,you can deadhead the spent blooms right below the old flower now but That's all I would recommend doing now.If they insist,then tell them it is not in the best interest of the tree and do it anyway.
    There should always be a good reason to prune.AND you should know what you are doing also.

3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with sheshovel. This is NOT the time of year to be pruning crepes. If the customer is adament about pruning this thing, explain to them that you feel it may cause harmful stress to the tree and could ultimately kill it or promote an undesirable result.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Crape Myrtyle can be pruned very hard in the spring and recover just fine. As has been said. now is not the time. You can always prune out dead wood and anthing that may be in danger of falling or getting in the way. Better to prune than have someone bend or tear branches to get them out of the way.

Is the plant in the wrong place? Should you maybe try to remove the crape and plant something more appropriate? You can always find a place for a beautiful specimen like that to move. It's only going to get bigger where it is.

Kirk

5. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

Yea its a new house for the couple and the wife wanted it cut ... back

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Dreams..He didnt know how to say Crepe Myrtle what makes you think he knows how to move a full grown mature Crepe Myrtle? Oh I know!!
    He could put it in a CRATE! LOL

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Isn't this tree about as durable as a weed anyways? I mean, I have people telling me all the time that they cut them down and grind the stumps up and a year later its back.

8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

She shovel your ignorance abounds..as Kirk so subtly pointed out YOU don't know the correct name either but HIS answer was helpful not degrading. You eat Crepes you plant Crapes!

9. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Man i have a dozen planted at my home i set out i did not know also.

10. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen them this big and cut them back to around chest high in 100 degree weather. I have yet to see any die. I cut 5-6 of them down at a rent house of mine and with in a month they were growing back. We took the stump grinder over and ground the stumps out and they started growing again.