Can I Pull This??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JMiller08, May 11, 2008.

1. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys i was wondering if i can pull a 6x12 open trailer with my truck. I have a 1995 nissan hardbody pickup with a 3.0 V6 with a manual tranny. Truck has almost 115K on it. For now i will only be pulling 1 48 in and 1 22 in mower. Plus hand tools, hand helds..etc. What do ya think?

2. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

yes shouldnt be a problem

3. JMiller08

JMiller08 LawnSite Senior Member

Oh i forgot to say it has a dual axel

4. totallawncare25

totallawncare25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

it is still a 12' trailer

5. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

To do this right, figure out what the trailer weighs, then, add the weight of your equipment to see what you are up to.

As I recall, my Xterra, with a manual transmission, is rated from the factory to be able to tow 3,500 lb, while the automatics are rated for 5,000 lb. HOWEVER, if the trailer does not have it's own brakes, I believe that those limits are lowered TO only 1,000 lb. You will almost certainly be over 1,000 lbs, so, look into the brake issue if your truck has that same limitation.

6. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a mazda b4000 4wd 4.0 v6 and 140k miles, I pull stuff and haul things that make the front end look like its about to raise off the ground lol. Just an old truck, wouldnt worry with it.

7. XterraJohn

XterraJohn LawnSite Member

It's not really the truck that I worry so much about, but I don't want to be the cause of a terrible accident because I loaded my truck past what it is able to safely control.

8. TLClandscaping

TLClandscaping LawnSite Member

You just have to go slow and break way before you have to stop, keep your eyes on what you think will be an upcoming problem and plain for it, thats what I do, short hauls with a small truck, full size on longer hauls.:weightlifter:

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

You will be fine. I towed a Toro Dingo and a cultivator with my 2004 V6 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 and a single axle trailer...pulled it just fine, stopping however was a different problem!

On a daily basis I tow my 40" T2 Toro which is heavier then your 48", a 21" (Sometimes 2 21"'s), hand tools and other smaller stuff on my 5x10 but I also have a 6x12 that I use from time to time, but prefer the smaller 5x10 so that I can park in my garage at the end of the day. With what you are towing you shouldnt have any problem stopping just make sure you dont tailgate.

10. jds1469

jds1469 LawnSite Member

one thing is have you ever hauled a sq yrd of stone in the back of the truck and realized that you cant thurn the truck very well afterwards? You may need to replace your (im guessing) leaf springs in the truck to keep some weight on the front axel. 12' trailer for that?