Can I put a loader or blade on a 214 JD

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Jusmowin, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have an older(73) John Deere 214 lawn tractor that I dont use much. It had an older 38 inch deck that was in poor shape so I took it off. Once in a while I pull a log splitter or aerator with it but other wise than that it just kind of sits. I really dont want to sell it but would like to get a little more use out of it, so my question is do they make a small loader, snow blade, front mount thatcher or even a pull behinde finish cut mower I can fit to this tractor. Thanks for any help
  2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You could check with JD but i'm sure they make a blade to put on the front. Thats something that can be used with any lawn or garden tractor that is currently made. Swisher makes a pull behind finish mower that can be pulled with anything such as atv, lawn tractor or anything else. They are available in 44 and 60 inch cut. they have their own engine so all you have to do is pull it. They are available through Tractor Supply Co. Don't know if there are any close to you. They are also available through Northern Tool catalog. They are probibly available other places that i'm not aware of.
  3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, let's see here.

1. The 214 was not introduced by John Deere until 1975. (not being critical, just some extra info)
    2. Front blades are available, just have to find one on a dealer's used lot, or in the local want ads.
    3. There is no true front end loader that will work on a 200 series frame, its just too small, the front axles will wear out prematurely under the extra weight of a loader, and the down pressure it will make. There are Johnny Buckets available, but they will run you in excess of $1000.
    4. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend--everything is available, but all of it will be very expensive--especially for a John Deere, owning 2 of them, I know it first hand.
    5. If you need to get rid of it, let me know first, I would be interested in it myself, or I can get you connected with others who are interested through a local collectors club.
  4. Smalltimer1

You can't get a new blade for a 214 since they haven't been made since 1986.
  5. dbear

dbear LawnSite Senior Member

6. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

I have a 214 now, that i might be willing to sell you, i have a tiller for the back and a snow blade for the front, let me know.
    This one has hyd lift, it hasnt been run in over a year but it had a new long block put in it about 6 years ago and not many hours used since.
  7. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

Can you use the tiller and the blade on the tractor at the same time?
  8. firedude26

firedude26 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mich

Well if you have tiller in ground the blade will be raised when you raise tiller blade goes down, so no. but i did unhook the lift arms from which ever one wasnt used so that i could use the other, you just need to setup away to hold that attachment up.
  9. jmonarch

jmonarch LawnSite Member

If others pass, I am interested. I live in Michigan, too. Please send me an email at Thanks.

10. Smalltimer1

I can find a blade for it if you like, I have some connections at the local JD dealers.