Can I put a mini skid in a enclosed trailer?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by EVM, Mar 26, 2009.

1. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 8 * 24 foot enclosed carmate trailer. The trailer is rated at 7,000 lbs so I think I am good there. My question is about loading the mini on the trailer ramp. The ramp has playwood over top of something but I am not sure what that something is. I know there are hollow points under that ply wood because I can see my foot flex the wood. The beaver tail hinge does not look like much either. Has anyone tried this before? I am looking at renting a dingo for a job.
  2. atasteofnature

atasteofnature LawnSite Senior Member

i worked for a company and we always used an enclosed trailer. We made sure to back it in to add weight to the tounge so you don't sway down the road. Work for us and our trailer.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

You'd be surprised at how well the piano hinges on those doors hold up.

Most enclosed trailers are made to handle some good weight, some people haul around their project cars in them, so a mini should have no problems.

If you're unsure about the ramp, then take the plywood off and weld in some extra supports, but I think it will be just fine.
  4. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

just lay some extra planks for the tracks to run one if it just temporary for a rented machine
  5. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

You'll be fine.
  6. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

My friend carries a Dingo TX in a trailer like yours with no problem. He just lays a couple of 2x8s on the ramp for extra support.
  7. EVM

Thanks guys, on my way to home depot.
  8. Isobel

Isobel LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with White Gardens, you'd be amazed at what those ramps are able to handle. A good trailer manufacturer will over build their ramps for ppl like us :)
  9. EVM

Ramps held up fine but I don't think I could use the trailer again to haul the mini skid.
  10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

why do you say that?