Can i put a sulky on this mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blueribbonlawns, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Im trying to put a sulky on this mower but the dealer says it's not powerful enuf to pull me around so what do you think?
    The mower is a 2003 MTD pro wide cut mower w/a 13 hp brigg's it is belt driven.

MTD pro.jpg

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I'm going to have to agree with your dealer.

3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO, a sulky is good for 1/2 acre lots and up.

36" mowers are NOT designed for these size lots.

Belt drive mowers have a harder time with and are worn out quicker when used with a sulky.

Having said this. Engine power is never really an issue with regard to a sulky. I ran a Velke for a short period of time (really never had the need for one as I have a rider) and it never bogged my 14hp Kawi at all. Belts can slip, yes, but never bogged down.

I would seriously consider your targeted use for this mower. If your doing larger properties where a sulky would be beneficial, then you may want to consider a larger (wider) hydro walk.

4. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

:confused: Put one on it. This mower has a Kohler 13hp and had the velke for 8 years. I think this year I'll change the belts. I put in 5th on one yard and go to town. Flying around like Dick Trickle at Darlington. Walk, you crazy the only time I don't put that thing on is if it's a really really big hill.

Picture 639.jpg

5. chesterlawn

chesterlawn LawnSite Senior Member

You can put a sulky on it. Years ago I had a 11 hp goodall with a sit down sulky, pulled me 210lbs. fine, even up hills.

6. Weekes

Weekes LawnSite Member

Who say's and WHY?

7. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Well i have decided im getting a Hustler Trimstar hydro i'll put a sulky on that but thank's anyway

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The machine is old enough that a sulkie won't hurt it one bit.
    Just remember to come to a COMPLETE STOP when changing gears or kiss that tranny goodbye real fast.
    You can seriously lengthen the life of your belts with belt dressing compound available from Napa so belt slippage shouldn't be a problem.
    The dealer is just trying to sell you a new machine - pee on him and run this thing for three more years.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. The belt dressing is great advice, as well. Also, just two criteria are what you want to look for. First, a two wheeled sulky. This will float better with less sinking and drag. Second, use a trailering type sulky like the ones shown. Your mower will not have the power to swing a solid mount sulky with pivoting casters.

10. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Wait a min...you have a 36" Walker, WHY do you need a 36" WB?