Can i put down weed control in the summer?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

I seem to have a massive outbreak of weeds in my fescue lawn in the last 2 weeks. Can i put down weed control in the middle of the summer or should i just wait till fall?. I was at home depot and i could find was the weed and feed. Is granular or liquid the best for this as these weeds are already post emergent?

Thanks guys.

2. SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC

SHOWCASE LAWNS LLC LawnSite Member

Call A Local Pro, It Might Be Crabgrass Or Something Of The Sort. If It Is You Will Probably Kill Your Lawn Before You Kill The Weeds. Seen It A Million Times. Not To Insult Anyone But The Products Arent The Same As A Pros, The Skill To Apply And The Ability To Identify The Weed Is Not There With Most Homeowners. But Above All Is The Lack Of Patience. A Local Licensed Pro Will Produce Results And Probably Save You Big Money In The Long Run. Be Real Careful With The Big Franchises And National Companies As They Tend To Hire Anyone With A Heartbeat. Hire A Midsize Co Thats Been Around Awhile That You Will Have An Assigned Tech. That Has A Few Years Experience. Or Find The Nicest Few Lawns In The Neighborhood And Ask The Owner What Company Takes Care Of It. Hope This Helps.

3. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

I would wait until fall if you intend to treat the whole lawn. If your fescue is still growing vigorously, you could spot spray. If the turf is headed into summer dormancy, I would look the other way for about six weeks. Too mush of a chance of damage at this point even if done by a pro.

4. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

This is the weed that is taking over my lawn. Anyone know what it is called and if there is a remedy for it that i can put down or hire someone to put down that will kill it this fall?

[​IMG]

5. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

That looks like crabgrass. Acclaim plus Dimension works well on it at that stage. You will not find those at Home Depot. IF I was a home owner, I would raise my mower to 3 inches and live with it. Next spring apply a pre emergent like dimension, maybe even twice. The first time after the lawns has been cut twice and then 8 weeks later.

6. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

Crabgrass is an annual. It will slow down with cooler temps. Frost will kill it. A thick lawn is your best defense. Mow high, 3-4 inches. Fertilize when the fescue is growing, spring, early summer and fall.