Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JABBERS, Jun 28, 2008.

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

My question is can I replace a 18hp recoil start with a 18hp electric start? I found a used scag 18hp vanguard. The motor has some oil around the heads, runs good doesn't really smoke. I found a 18 hp electric start for around $600 but its electric start. I found a recoil 18hp for around $900. My game plan was to buy the mower for $750 run it till it dies then install electric start 18hp and battery. Can this be done without alot of extra work? Thanks for any info
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

You will ned to change the wiring harness, key switch, mount a battery and if the shaft is not the same size, change the clutch/pulleys and belts
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

What he said, it has been done before but it's quite a bit to it...

In my opinion you're as well off keep shopping for an 18hp recoil, they are a little more expensive than ES but if the ES is going for 600 then you should be able to find a recoil for 650-750 or thereabouts, maybe 800 but 9 is sounding a bit outrageous I think.

Depending on the mower, if the deck size isn't any bigger than 52" and it's a belt drive I think a 15hp Kohler would do as well, matter of fact if money is the issue I would quickly consider the 15hp Vanguard.
  4. Bill Kapaun

Bill Kapaun LawnSite Senior Member

If you aren't adverse to recoil start, it might be simpler to add those parts to an electric start engine??
  5. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Another thing I forgot to mention - trying to pull start an 18hp engine is like cranking a model T - it can be done, but it's no fun.
    Most recoil starter parts can't handle the abuse you will give it trying to start an engine that large.