Can I/Should I cut 2 acres with a 36" walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sanders Lawn Care, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Sanders Lawn Care

Sanders Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from USA

Before I picked up this apartment complex I was going to get a bigger mower, but now that I got the job I'm thinking of saving some money and cutting the 2 acres with my 36". What do you think! Thanks!

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I cut 2 acres Friday and it was wide open and it took me 2 hours...45 minutes of which was double cutting. I would think you are looking at about the same time considering obstacles.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If this is the only big job you have with the 36", and the cutting isn't horrible (IE not cutting prairie grass, running down gopher mounds, etc), do it, but you will have to charge more than a guy on a 60" Z for obvious reasons. Charge it according to the equipment you have.

4. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

you must not have a full schedule.time can't be a issue for you

5. cgaengineer

The 2 acres I cut was for a friend...I wont cut that one again!!

6. Sanders Lawn Care

from USA

thats is correct. all the work I do is on the side. This would be cut on the weekends.

7. Sanders Lawn Care

from USA

Well, most of my accounts are commercial. This property has one open are that is 76000 sq ft the rest is just couple of strips. This is my biggest commercial account

8. Sanders Lawn Care

from USA

sounds about the same. Hopefully I won't have to double cut. Time is really not an issue, but 2hours........wow!

9. cgaengineer

Yeah, you really don't realize how large two acres really is until you make one pass with a 40" cut! When I made my first pass I knew what I had got myself into!! The worst part was that I could not go full speed because it was so rough. The double cutting was over the septic drainfield and the entire lawn (Fescue) had not been cut at all this year.

10. RD 12

RD 12 LawnSite Member

Can you? ask yourself that question. Should you? I hope you have the time.