1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can I Soup Up My Mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by whoopassonthebluegrass, Oct 7, 2007.

1. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

So I'm having this crazy idea. I want to go faster than my officially sanctioned 6.2mph on my 36" Toro T-Bar. I am thinking of buying a slightly smaller pulley for under the tranny. That way I get a better top speed, but can run in 3rd or 4th if it proves to be too zippy.

Any thoughts? Any ideas where I could find random pulleys?

(And, yes, I'm considering a deterioration of my quality of cut by doing this, I know, I know...)
  2. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

what did you smoke for breakfast??
  3. whoopassonthebluegrass

Ha. I just want more efficiency without having to buy another mower. Is that too much to ask? Scags do 7.4mph. Gravely's do 8.5mph... All have the same max blade speeds thanks to OSHA. So I want to get a little more from mine.
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Depends - without detail I have learned that you can up- engine speed along with blade tip speed and increase your travel time. I know - I can here ya coming about safety, employee's etc but I won't be outcut, outrun, or out done! With all my issues this summer with my Toro's - I need an advantage somewhere!

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Scag WB only go 6.2 as well. But I see your point on gearing your mower faster for efficiency. I would check your local hardware store or have a local machinist make you one. I wouldn't gear it up too much though...Just my .02 cents. Let us know if you decide to go with it and how it goes! Good luck!
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

Check this link to verify Scag's speed. Middle of the page.

I really want to do this. I can always return to the OEM pulley if it doesn't work... but I don't understand why it wouldn't.

Walkers have a pulley made by Walker to do this same thing.

The way I see it, is that the peerless tranny is plenty tough (and cheap in case I push it too hard) and other than that it's just a belt-wear issue.
  7. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

yea Scag hydros go 7.4mph...the belt drives go 6.2..
  8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Exactly. Why do you want to go that fast on a 36" anyway? Are you using it for wide open fields or something.
  9. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

Our local bearing house also happens to be a Stens dealer. I would look around for a bearing supplier. They typically carry Browning or Murrey pulleys (also called sheaves). They may also carry different sizes of belts.
  10. whoopassonthebluegrass

Not to be patronizing, but isn't that a dumb question? The faster I move the faster the work gets done and/or the more work I can handle.

I do 65% residential (5-10K) and 35% commercial (1/2 - 2 acres). I can't justify a bigger mower because I have too many narrow gates and I live in the Rockies. Out here the wealthy live up on the benches of the mtns which equates to crazy hills and landscaping... No place for a Z mower. Crap, even a 36" scalps a lot of turf here...