Can I Survive In This Town?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by greenscapeman, Apr 13, 2006.

1. greenscapeman

greenscapeman LawnSite Member

My dream is to start a successful LCO in my little hometown in rural KY. It is a growing community, with residential develop going on everywhere. The county has a population of 55,000. The population increased by 21.4% from 1990 to 2000. That being said, I am trying to figure out how much business the market will provide. There are really only 3 or 4 legitimate landscapers that serve this area. Of those, I would predict that only 1 is a licensed pesticide applicator. A quick look at the yellow pages, and the local classifieds shows that there are about 10 guys that are strictly "mowing, trimming, & blowing."

I stopped by the local mower dealer the other day. Obviously, he would like to see me buy a new mower and start in this business. He says that he knows at least 10 people that quit last year due to it being a very dry summer. He claims there is plenty of business to go around.

What do you guys think? Can a community this size support another LCO? Obviously, there are other factors that I need to consider, but I don't really know where else to go to come up with a good idea of the available market share.

2. All_Clear

All_Clear LawnSite Senior Member

Try calling a few of the lawn guys for a quote and shoot the sh!t. See how they respond on how business is... Going to have to read people pretty good tho.

Otherwise buy some good used equipment and get your feet wet if your afraid of dropping large amount of cash and possibly not seeing a return.

Will it support another lco... maybe... Do quality work, charge a fair price and you should be able to get some good accounts.

Just my 2 cents.

All_Clear