Can i tow a 12 ton excavator with a single axle tractor?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrusk, Jan 18, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

If i buy lets say a single axle international 4900 tractor would i be able to tow a 12 ton machine?

Matt

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on how many axles the trailer has. Check state laws, but it comes down to how much weight is on each axle, which also reflects the GVWR. You might be able to do it, but chances are, the truck just isn't going to have enough power to pull a 312. You need at least 350 HP, in my opinion, to get anywhere. Around here, if you have less than 400 HP, you don't get anywhere at all.

3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Assuming the trailer is capable of doing so, if so...I'm going with yes.

Plenty of guys pull 25k+ pounds behind a pickup (I don't recommend it). However with that being said..the 4900 is A LOT more truck.

You should be fine.

Also..in regards to what Scag said...plenty of road tractors are running out there with 350-400hp and they're grossing 80k pounds.

4. mrusk

I would ofcourse by the right trailer with the appropriate axle ratings. I'm just curious if the truck could pull it.

5. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know what motor and tranny is in the truck?

If it's the DT466 (it should be). You should be okay...the more gears the better.

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Are you looking at a single axle truck tractor and using a single drop tandem axle trailer or a small lowbed ?

You have to keep in mind your gvw rules in the states pretty much allow you on a tandem axle trailer with a single axle tractor would be max 66,000lbs.

The big problem with a single axle tractor is not burning out the brakes if the truck has a 300hp L-10 or M-11 Cummins with a JAKE brake not a exhaust brake the truck will do it. If the truck is a single axle dump truck and your pulling a tag trailer no way the truck would be too dangerous.

You don't really need 400hp in a single axle but you should have a single axle with a 10 litre engine and a 9spd in it. A single axle with a 466 and 6spd isn't going to do it engine is too small and you don't have a JAKE. You need the jake brake to help in the braking.

7. mrusk

I do not have a particaluar truck in mind, i was just wondering if that type of truck would pull the machine. I'm not set on international or anything.

I got to buy a 36 ft gooseneck to move fiberglass pools. I could pull the trailer with my 3/4 ton cummins, with a pool on it, but i would not be able to pull any machine on it. So i figure if i buy a little better trailer and pick up a used tractor for 10-20 grand, i'd be able to move a 12 ton excavator, or a mini x and my skid steer.

I'm proably going to have to buy a decent size ex in the next year or less, so i want to make the most out of my dollors.

Matt

8. Gravel Rat

I would probably spend the money on a decent truck tractor so you don't beat the crap out of your P/U truck.

A truck like this one would be good nice short wheelbase with Cummins M-11 9spd.

74403933Ford.jpg

9. mrusk

Gravel rat what do you think a decent truck like that would cost me?

I though about buying a tandem but what would suck for moving the pools. Also the tandem would sit alot, and it would cost me ALOT more to get a decent truck.

I been running the #s and for what its going to cost me to hire a excavator to dig and haul away all the dirt for each pool, i am better off buying a machine as soon as i can afford one. I might not need a 12 ton, but i need one large enough to use to pick up the pool and set it, so save on crane fees. I basically need a machine large enough to dig the biggest pool (about 110 yards of dirt) in a day and be able to pick up and set the pool.

Whats the best way of getting rid of clean dirt? I'm thinking about calling every excavtor in town the day before i start a dig and telling them i will be digging x amount of yard out between this time send a truck if you want free dirt.

Matt

10. Gravel Rat

A truck like that one would be worth about 15-19,000 dollars I found that one on truck paper.com.

If you were going to get into excavating then I would be looking for a tandem axle dump and a tag trailer.

If you need a truck to cart the pools around a single axle truck tractor like the Ford will do.