can i trim shrubs now?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grass disaster, Aug 11, 2005.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

or do i wait till the fall?

maybe if i do it now i could give them a little trim in late fall and make a little extra cash.

2. gil

gil LawnSite Member

what kind of shrubs?

3. grass disaster

i knew someone would ask..

not sure the names some are evergreenish others are more like a tree branch hedge.

some with little yellow flowers.

4. gil

gil LawnSite Member

hard to tell with the info you gave.
    I would prune when is dry outside. Don't prune too much, no more than 25% of the foliage in one season.
    I hope this helps.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I don't reccomend pruning in the heat of summer,Decidious
    shrubs are busy useing there leaves to gather and send food to the roots for winter survival and the evergreen ones need there foliage to maintain their food to foliage ratio year round.You can deadhead off old blooms and remove any dead or dieing branches or stems and head back any wayward growth that is sticking out far beyond the rest of the growth. But that's it.]
    You don't prune cuz you need to make xtra money.

Only prune if it is neccesary for the continued health of the shrub or tree you are dealing with.

6. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to know what your pruning to know when to prune them. Go to Home Depot or somewhere and get a book(s) that has pictures of bushes/vines,etc. so you can match up the name with a picture and the book will tell you best time to prune.

Ortho has some good books. A pretty good one I have is "Complete guide to Trees & Shrubs" by Ortho. I think I got it at Home Depot/Lowes.

Example: Rhododendrons and Azaleas are best to prune after finished blooming since they start setting flower buds for next year during the summer.

7. grass disaster

SPIOREAS can i trim them now?

8. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you mean spirea. If yes then you can trim those after the blooms are pretty much gone.