can i turn up hydraulic pressure to make ztr faster

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mowing grass 1111, Feb 3, 2008.

1. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

just like the title states . i have a lazer z that seems to be running a little slower is there any way to speed it up?

2. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a Bad Boy AOS or a Hustler Super Z, 15 mph should be enough... :laugh:

3. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

More info on your mower would help like age,hours,maintenance history but

In short.........No

If your mower used to be fast enough for you but now its sluggish then you should check for exterior issues that may be slowing you down.

1. How old is your pump drive belt? Worn belts will slip and not give you full drive. Also make sure your engine is running at full manufacture rpms.
    2.What is the state of your oil? New, old, is the level correct? When the unit is running do you get lots of bubbles in the reservoir tank?
    3. Check the hydro levers all the way back to the pump and make sure nothing is loose or causing you not to get full throw on the pump. Also check the set screw on the input of the pump lots of times this is were you will loose alot of your drive when they back out.

4. mowing grass 1111

ok back to my question ... is there a way to turn the hydro pressure up to speed the mower up

there was a thread were a guy had a lazer z for sale , he said he turned turned the pressure up to make the mower faster
    here is the link http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=209542 so i know it can be done ..unless the guy who had the mower for sale is full of ****

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, I think MM answered your question nicely and right to the point......NOPE !

Think about it...... If it were that easy don't you think EVERYONE would be doing it ?

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a scag,i always slow em down coming into turns,but they run with the speed of light..........:usflag:

7. mowing grass 1111

well i am getting two different stories so who knows what to believe

8. mowing grass 1111

i also had everyone tell me that i could not speed up a gravely pro 300 rider that i had and that was a lie...its a bummer the guy that worked on it has passed away

9. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Most hydraulic systems are pressure regulated by mean of a bypass valve (usually spring loaded).
    Finding the bypass valve on your system and adjusting or replacing it will allow you to change the pressure in your system.
    I am not sure if this applies to ZTR and you may encounter another limitation in your control valves, so check for that as well...
    I would not mess with this if I were you, if you find your mower too slow, sell it and buy a faster one... Simple enough...

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well, I would say believe the repair techs, but I guess if you want to increase your hydro pressure, go right ahead, but don't wonder "why" if your gaskets and hydro filter start having problems.