Can I use 1 product all season?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TreffertLawnWrx, Feb 22, 2007.

1. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx LawnSite Senior Member

For the past 5 years I have used a commercial franchise for all my applications. The relationship has been great as well as the service but I have since grown and find it necessary to do my own fertilizer and weed control for this year.

I service only town home developments so these applications are only 3 times per season: March/April, June/July, Aug/Sept. Very few do we apply 4 applications but it does happen.

There is a local contractor, who when I stopped by his shop has pallets of a certain Lesco product that he applies all season long. They do have a spray rig that they do a liquid application at some point but I have no idea when.
    He also told me that Lesco has a product that combines weed control, that although on the expensive side, it kills two birds with one stone.

Now with this in mind that all licenses and classes will be taken prior to any application (please no comments), what would be the most cost efficient set-up without losing the quality. Most places we have done for years and require no attention on my part when the necessary apps were made, ie: weed free, green grass, no burns.

Can I use just one product with decent results?
    If so what product, when, and at what intervals?
    What is going to be the best applicator, a PG? (10+ACRES/9 PROPS.)
    If I'm going to need a spray rig what is popular? 200gal?
    What product will I use in the liquid app?
    Please treat these questions as if I know nothing! (Cuz I don't:dizzy: )

Thanks to all for your replies!

2. TreffertLawnWrx

All of my accounts are contract so Im not concerned about pricing the applications.

3. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't suggest it. I'd put down a pre-emergent round one after that you can absically use whatever fert you like. You can adjust spread rates on the regular fert to put down the proper amounts of N when needed.

I used 25-3-12 or my non grub customers round 2,3 and 4.

4. TreffertLawnWrx

Great! What kind of pre-M is working well for people in my area Midwest-North?

Is the pre-M a liquid or granular?

5. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

We use Nutrients PLUS with Cavalcade, its a 16-2-3, but is also available in 5-5-0 and 10-4-2

6. TreffertLawnWrx

what are the benefits between 16-2-3, or using 5-5-0 or 10-4-2, I know what the numbers represent but not why?

7. MaineFert

from Maine

It depends upon what you are looking for for Nitrogen. Some people like us prefer a nice kick of N early on in the season(cool season turf up here) Others do a blast of Nitrogen in the fall, so they will not need as much in the Spring. Either way, the active ingrediaent of cavalcade is the same, it all depends upon what your program is calling for, i.e soil tests, preferences etc.

8. TreffertLawnWrx

I would like it if a few members would put together a program to get a basic idea as to what and why i need to apply certain products. Ican go off the basic lesco program, early spring, late spring, summer, then a winterizer. where do i include spraying for weeds, if at all? What equipment is going to works best for HOA's with many townhomes? Thanks!

9. MaineFert

from Maine

I can definitely do that for you, drop me an email bh1416@yahoo.com and I will give you my company info and we can talk

10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Maine Fert.

Still waiting for a response.