Can I use a tow Dolly to Tow an F-150 ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Az Gardener, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I have to move some vehicles around for repair and rather than pay a tow company I want to rent a tow dolly and pull the vehicles around with My 3/4 ton Dodge diesel. The rental place said they are not sure about using it to tow a pick up? Its a stock 2000 F-150 with stock tires and wheels. What say you men of grease and wrenches?
  2. vgshopboss

vgshopboss LawnSite Member

Don't know if you are still looking to tow this or not. I tried to tow a 79 f-150 with a tow dolly (2 wheel drive, bone stock), and the problem I had was the wheel track was wide enough that the tires would hit the fenders on the tow dolly, and ended up bending the $hit out of the pivot plate. Took about an hour of heat it and beat it to flatten it back out. Best off to try and find a flatbed trailer, or call the professionals.
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Dude you will not have a problem towing a F-150 on a tow dolly as long as you know that 1. You can Not! back a tow dolly up with a vehicle on it. 2. You can not turn super tight with a dolly like you would with a lawn trailer, because wider vehicles on a dolly tend to hit the fenders on the dolly in which usually scratch the doors on the vehicle your towing. 3.If the dolly has a steering release pin (the pin must be pulled out priar to loading and towing) but placed back in when not towing. 4. If the tires of the vehicle you towing touches both of the dollys fenders then the vehicle is TOO WIDE and should not be towed. REMEMBER tow dollys are designed to tow cars and truck and with a little common sence you will not have any problems towing with that dolly! Good luck!