Can I use Car oil in my Mower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by jeepcherokee87, May 3, 2010.

1. jeepcherokee87

jeepcherokee87 LawnSite Member

I am sure this is probably covered, and I tried searching for it, and reading the stickied post at the top but didn't really find an answer. Can I just go to walmart and buy 10w-30 oil for my Kholer Courage 22hp mower on my Cub Cadet? Does it have to be lawmower oil or is oil for an automobile fine too? Any oil better than the rest? Synthetic? Thanks!
  2. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

its fine thats what everyone I've ever met use.
  3. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I don't like GF-4 oils in my small engines. I believe most small engines have a flat tappet cam and therefore would benefit from the higher levels of ZDDP found in non GF-4 oils. The Mobil 1 High Millage line has a higher ZDDP level and I favor the 5W-40 Mobil 1 TDT oil.
  4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The Kohler courage engine does not have hydraulic lifters like the Command series. Therefore the engine should probably use an SAE 30 oil. Plastic cams seem to like it.
  5. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Any oil should work fine. I generally use SAE30 in small engines, say up to like 8 hp, unless it says otherwise. I also use SAE30 in the Kawasaki 420V and 460Vs, that is what's recommended. Otherwise I use 10-30 in pretty much everything. You can mix oils too, say you mix on a 1:1 ratio 5-30 and 10-30. You now have 7.5-30. Or 10-30 and 10-40, you now have 10-35. Or so I've heard. Oil is pretty standard, unless you get into synthetics and 2-cycles.
  6. Lawn N Order

Lawn N Order LawnSite Member

Personally I like Synthetic oil. I've heard it keeps oil seals happy and can prevent oil leaks.
  7. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Or save yourself the worries and use Kohler's own oils. Both their 10w-30 and 30wt are useable in that engine. Air cooled engine oils are different than oils for water cooled engines.
  8. alanauer

alanauer LawnSite Member

Kohler doesn't have its own wells and refineries. They buy their oil from the same company that sells to Walmart.
  9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

read the owners manual, then go to the store and buy that viscosity of oil. if it calls for a muliti weight oil then great, if it calls for a single weight then great. In this case your owners manual for the engine is your bible...
  10. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

The Kohler Oil has an API rating of "SJ" according to their web site. As a rule an API rating higher than SJ should be ok too, but now with the ILSAC GF-4 rating that most oil companies are complying to, this is no longer the case. The Kohler oil does not have a GF-4 rating and therefore is better for Kohler's small engines than the modern oils designed for today's passenger cars.