Can I use My ZTR To....

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Stan MI, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Pull a spring tooth harrow ? 2 sections each about 3' across. I only have it down about an inch. Doesn't feel like much of a load.

27 Horse LC Toro.

Would like to see someone else's opinion.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Some machines have a recommended pull in pounds and drawbar weight rating. Is this in your manual? Some Zs are rated for 85 pound pull and others are listed for 2000( Dixie Chopper) I think.
  3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't try it. It's best to do ground engaging tasks with a garden tractor, which have transmissions designed to handle the stresses of ground engaging work.

That's why I run all garden tractors, so I'm not handicapped when it comes time to run a trench or work on a garden and mow at the same place when I can only take one machine on my trailer at a time.
  4. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Bump ..............

Read the manual. Doesn't say anything. Any help !!!!!!!!

Thanks !!!!!
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Ok Stan, I checked my resources and couldn't find a pulling capacity but you can contact Toro your self and see what they say, Here's a link;
  6. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Thanks, I'll check it out.
  7. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Just to complete the thread this is the response I received from TORO.

Thank you for contacting The Toro Company.* The Toro Company prides itself in its reputation for producing products of high quality and reliability.* We appreciate your taking the time to contact us with your questions concerning your Toro Z.

Although Toro does not recommend using ground engaging equipment with your Z Master pulling a rake, should not be problem. The machine is more than capable of pulling the rake. I would caution you to stop pulling if you notice heavy resistance from the rake or if you notice a loss of hydraulic power.

We value you as a Toro customer.* Please know that you have an open invitation to contact us at any time.

The way I read this it shouldn't be a problem as long as I take it easy and don't overload it.
  8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, Just do like they said and it should be fine.
  9. Jayhox

Jayhox LawnSite Member

Save their response so if there's a problem you can have evidence to back you up!
  10. BarnOwl

BarnOwl LawnSite Member

I have a Z Master equipped wih a towbar and pull all sorts of things with it. No problem, if it is too heavy you will start slipping anyway. It won't harm the machine.
    I used to have a diesel tractor with turf tires but I can pull anything with the ZTR I used to pull with the tractor.......