Can I...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by richter24, Oct 16, 2007.

1. richter24

richter24 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

At the moment, I have my business name, filed for certificate of assumed business name, created my logo, and have the necessary accounting software. At this point I have set-up meetings with my lawyer, and accountant at a future date to determine wheather I will be Incorporated, LLC, or so on.
    Question is, Can I begin my business right now. Advertising, setting up accounts, actual work, print shirts, etc...?

Thanks in advance..

2. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes as long as your DBA, doing business as, basically your running at a sole prop

3. richter24

from Indiana

right on!!

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I notice that you did not mention getting a business license. I would do this first. You can get your business ready without the business license, but you will need it before you can service a propert where you are going to be paid.

5. richter24

from Indiana

Where would I go about obtaining a business license??

6. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

One of the first things your going to want to look into before starting is some liability insurance to help protect you and your investment in case something was to go wrong while mowing.

7. richter24

from Indiana

Once I establish if I am going LLc, Inc, etc..Then I plan on getting insurance.

Off hand do you know, once I do get insurance, does it have to be paid up front? I know when I bought my house, I paid yearly. Just curious if it is the same? In which case I will go through my insurance agent.

8. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

ask the insurence agent

9. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

From my understanding, some states don't require a business license, just the DBA.

10. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

state license is needed, local license, if your state requires a vendors license to collect sales tax, many do some dont....liability insurance commercial tags for trailor and vehicle...... if you get employees, workers comp insurance, mathing soc sec.....