Can I?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Feb 11, 2003.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can i use double blades on my 14hp 48" hydro w/b? It is really old (6yrs) and I don't know if the blades would dramitacally reduce tip speed and ruin the engine can you please tell me what would happen. Thanks,
  2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad has a Kees 52" hydro w/b...His is about the same in age except it has a 18hp kohler... I would never try to put doubles on his..Not enough power now to run the properly...My advice would be to give them a test on grass that doesnt need too much cut off...Then go from there...

Hope this helps

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, I wouldn't try it. I won't even put doubles on my 36" 15 HP Kawi.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes you can. I keep doubles on a 48" hydro encore with 14hp kawi. Just make sure you install a tiny tach and keep the rpm's up to 3600. Just make sure you balance the blades.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hoss really? Hmm.. My 14/52 hydro Scag I wouldn't dream of putting doubles on... If I played with the RPM's alittle it might work. I probably don't even need to! Thats interesting though.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would try it but make sure the RPMs stay up and that the blades are sharp. You will know quite quickly if it can handle it.

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Try it out. I do know , that it will take longer for your blades to get up to full speed, and to stop. Probably sound a lot different also.