Can it be done right cheaply?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Jeff777, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Jeff777

Jeff777 LawnSite Member

Hi Guys -

I have 2 regular customers that have asked me to do work that I haven't done for a few years. One has an erosion problem on a hill and hired a lousy irrigation guy (my opinion) which has resulted in much of their topsoil washing away in only one season. They're broke now after a retaining wall, a few rock gardens and that guy and want to go low buck to at least temporarily stop the problem. This is sand country and they've got alot of shale near the surface. Slit type dethatchers just create a dust bowl around here so I'm thinking a slit seeder is going to be worthless as well. I used to own a hydroseeder but no one in the area would pay for that service so it's gone. It would be perfect for this job. The only other equipment I own to do it is a spike aerator and a broadcast spreader. I have several hundred pounds of cellulose mulch left from my hydroseeding days, I won't use straw unless it's weed free.

Second scenario is new construction desiring complete install but part of it has existing lawn. I also own a skidsteer so tearing out old is no problem nor is renting a preparator . Again , this Lady thinks big with a small wallet but want's to do this as an Aniversary gift for her Daughter and Son in Law. If they both weren't regular customers I'd pass on both jobs.

I've recently switched to liquid fertilizers and could use a bigger tank. I was toying with the idea of going with a 200 gallon tank, pre-germinating my seed and spraying it after I'd aerated and prepped the soil.

I hate doing things half butt. Open to all suggestions. No money for decent seeders like Brillion etc. Any cheap equipment I'm unaware of?

Thanks - Jeff ;)

2. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

Why not just slit seed the second job? Only real money in that is getting good seed. Is final grade done?

3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

You could aerate several times seed and topdress with organic compost, if you add annual ryes and peren ryes it should seed in 3-5 days if wet and the compost will help the sandy soil