can it be pruned now ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by befnme, Mar 4, 2006.

1. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a customer today ask me to prune her crepe myrtel and pampas grass .i told her i would rather have done it in the fall so i wouldn't cut off any new growth now. can i still do it with no reprocussion ? sheshovel i know you can answer this one .:waving:

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Perfect time to trim the Myrtle. The grass depends on how severe you are trimming, probably wont be putting on much new growth for another 6-weeks or so. If you are doing the cut it to the ground and lets start over I would wait, if you are doing the cut 4"-6" around the base so its standing tall, I would say good time for that.

3. befnme

thanks for the help.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and prune it...Deadhead off the spent flowers right below them..I would wait to remove any dead wood tell spring cuz it all will look dead right now.And cut the Pampass to the ground..nothing kills it so don't worry it will B fine
    but like I always say wear gloves it will cut you up good!

5. befnme

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

yer welcome

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

In NC you want to prune CM's in February and very early March....so it is prefect time. I would not prune them in the Fall ever.