Can Mantis or Honda FG110 do aerating and dethratching?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by yungman, Jan 31, 2008.

1. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

I need to aerate and dethratch my lawn. I have a tiller already, If I were to buy this cultivator, it will be only for this purpose. Do they do a good job on aerating and dethratching? My lawn is about 2000sqft only.

Thanks.

Any opinion on comparing Mantis with Honda or Honda FG110? Did Honda really fix the transmission problem on the FG110?

Thanks

2. yungman

from Calif.

Anyone have any comments??

3. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

They will not do it well!

Go rent a dethacher or aerator OR pay someone to do it for you.

4. yungman

from Calif.

This is not I want to hear, but I am not surprised, hoping a $400 unit can do a job of a big aerator. Thanks.*trucewhiteflag*

5. saw man

from utah

I figured you would think that. If you do a little more thinking you would realize that a small cultivator is good for one thing and one thing only CULTIVATING!

6. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I have the Honda FG 110 and the Mantis 2-stroke and the Honda powered one. Yes all 3. I just picked up the Honda powered Mantis on New Years day form a fellow LCO down on his luck for $300 with this dethatcher attachment in near new condition. I don't know how well it works but I'm sure it works way better than hand raking. :laugh:

The advantage to the FG 110 is that it spins faster 240 rpm I think. Mantis is around 200 rpm. I would not buy this just for dethaching. The Mantis has those straight cut aerator tines that cut the turf. I've never used those either. I may use this for over seeding a small area in my own grass.

My FG 110 saw some heavy use last year during tilling season. When or if the tranny breaks on it I will tell the whole world here. :hammerhead:

My impression is that the mantis transmission will prove to be more durable. Honestly I use the FG110 more because of the tine design works better most of the time. Mantis is a great digger.

7. saw man

from utah

You better add the side guards to the dethacher if you use it! If you dont all that grass will end up around the cylinder fins and will overheat the engine! Then you can kiss that machine goodbye.