1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

can marine TCW oil be used with Lawnboy mowers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by namor, Aug 4, 2006.

1. namor

namor LawnSite Member

can water cooled engine oil with a tcw 3 rating be used for an air cooled Lawnboy Silver pro series 6,5 hp or will it piston seize damage the engine. I was thinking of the low ash benefits of marine 2 cycle oils for my Lawnboy. I was at my local Walmart store which offered a cheaper priced Tech 2000 outboard oil as compared to the pricer Castrol 2 cycle small engine oil and Castrol outbaoed motor oil.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

3. namor

namor LawnSite Member

Thanks Roger for that lead, I'm convinced now not to use tcw water cooled engine oils in air cooled lawnmowers, or other 2 cycle small engines .This is a quote from another forum and that person seems knowledgeable and researched on the physics of tcw oils. "

"Water cooled motors run a lot cooler than air cooled motors. The
    difference in the oil specs deals with the temperature at which ash
    forms when the oil burns. Ash is abrasive. Air cooled oil is more
    resistant to forming ash. If you use Marine oil in an air cooled motor,
    you run the risk of forming ash and increasing the wear rate of the
    engine internals."

Gus from Toronto canada
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I used to use water cooled oil and I never got more than 2 years from my 2 cycle equipment, not to mention I had homeowner equipment also. I switched to air cooled oils from Stihl and '' no -smoke'' and also upgraded my 2 cycle equipment and now I have some trimmers that are on their 4 th season and running strong .

5. namor

namor LawnSite Member

Thanks Wayne for your remarks, I'm getting the picture now that marine tcw oils are a no-no for air cooled engines. A friend of mine seized a 70's lawnboy with some Walmart brand Snowmobile oil some years ago. I figure the snowmobile oil like marine oils work for machines that have lower operating temps. Lawnboys have high rpm and high heat so they need oils that can handle viscocity break down. I also figure if one uses air cooled oils in marine engines they would work but they would then be ash deposit prone because of a lack of a TCW rating via additives.I may be wrong on this point though.

And yes dads are truelly a son's best friend