1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can MEG-MO'S Fix This?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Can Meg- Mo's make this rear discharge deck perform better than in the pics, and can they cut clean in this heavy stuff?

And...would meg-mo's disperse the clippings more even, less clumping and windrowing in the conditions pictured?

Remember, I'm talking about a Rear Discharge Deck only.

2. Tonyr

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious...why did you go from Toro to Deere? From the pics you posted the cut is not nearly as good....
  4. Tonyr

toro dealer was 1.5 hours away, and his mechanic was rough and slow, they kept no parts.

toro was side discharge.

The work I do now isn't really suitable for side discharge due to liability, safety etc, e.g parks, new estates etc.

I'm trying to get more council work, before I purchased the deere they said they wouldn't be accepting work from contractors without rear discharge.

council just replaced their toro groundsmasters with deere 1500 series deere rear discharge. They just bought 4x 400 series toros....now I see they are putting baggers on em so they don't throw stuff at people/property.

I'm surprised this isn't a bigger issue in your country....

last reason....rear discharge decks are better in the ferral conditions, rough work...I earn well from rough work as you know.

No, I did not find the option of an OCDC a great idea for what I do/want...
  5. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

We are in a TERRIBLE drought right now so my eyeballs may be out of calibration, but that stuff looks really green and full of moisture. I'm not sure that any blade set will help the clumping very much on a rear discharge unit under those mowing conditions.

I would think that if anything could do it though, meg mo's would be the ticket. Kind of an expensive experiment though.

Best of luck with it and G'day,
  6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you need a mower I sold awhile back. Used it to cut 35 miles of roadsides for a town here until they established their own public works dept. Toro 325D with a flail deck. Cuts thick and tall stuff with easy and will not throw objects........
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Tony, you need to mount a chipper on the back of that thing and run all the grass thru it to chop it up and spread it. I have no idea why they haven't built one of these yet. I've always wanted to take a Walker GHS, remove the bin and install a chipper there blowing straight down to "force" the clippings into the grass. With enough motor this would be the best long grass machine.
  8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

trying the meg mo's. I have seen them on the big tractor mowers that cut fields and along the road ways. This is thick up to 2 feet deep and its grass mixed with brush. These mowers all have something similar to meg mo's only bigger. These conditions are incredibly tough but the finished cut is amazing, no clumps just grass laid out evenly with no wind rows at all. I would give them a shot, its worth a try. I hope you can solve your problem with something out there other wise you might have to look into that hustler.
  9. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

WE have had very good luck in the tall or taller types grasses and weeds. Cut and spreads out very good.
  10. Tonyr

what causes the 'rooster tails' before mentioned?

would lower sail knives prevent the knives bending back as much, therefore leaving a better cut in thick, long ferral grass conditions?

I ask as it has been said many times meg-mo's are not great at rough work due to the knives folding back missing grass, but shine in normal mowing conditions....

and, have meg-mo's been tried on rear discharge decks?

(in heavy grass, long grass etc, rear discharge tend to windrow, nature of the deck, wandering if the increased turbulance can prevent this?)

Last question, in damp grass, do meg-mo's thow out small clumps of clippings, or spray them out even like they were dry?

I'm very interested, so please answer with detail.

Better include a price for a set of 3 discs and knives that measure 21'' cut tip to cut tip....to Queensland, Australia.