1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can 'o Worms

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Aug 2, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Had a work order of "valve weeping and flooding area" at one of our elementary school sites. Went out and discovered that the valve (old Hardie FC-100) had developed a crack in the body in the area below the solenoid necessitating complete removal of the valve. Problem was that the valve was in a cluster with two other valves, on 40+ year old galvanized and/or black pipe supplies, welded well casing main line (very brittle now). A real can 'o worms. Decided to remove pretty much everything and start all over... giving the valves room to breathe.

Picture #1: Original fuster cluck.

Picture #2: Fuster cluck different angle.

Picture #3: Fuster cluck pile of crappola.

Picture #4: Welded 3" bung on 4" welded well casing main line wrapped with heavy tar paper.

Picture #5: Capped bung being pressure tested to make sure we didn't disturb anything after using sawz-all and big pipe wrenches to strip things down to the basics.

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-01.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-02.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-03.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-04.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-05.jpg
  2. PurpHaze

Second set of pictures.

Picture #6: VERY old and brittle, thin walled PVC lateral lines.

Picture #7: Reconnected valves with breathing room.

Picture #8: Different view of new valves.

Pictures #9: Completed project. Sand was brought in by a couple of our guys and the clay crap will be hauled out at a later date.

We'll go back out this morning, turn the backflow back on and test our repairs under booster pump pressures.

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-06.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-07.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-08.jpg

Ivanhoe Valves Replacement 8-1-07 IV-09.jpg
  3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Good to see you back Purp. I was wondering where you were these days. What a mess. All day job for aching me.
  4. I'm sure it is a greater disatance than the pic makes it look but kind of odd to see trees planted in the outfield grass.
  5. PurpHaze

It took Leo and I all day in 3D heat to get it done. We had sand brought out by two of our grounds guys (Richard and Gerard) who helped us backfill or we'd prolly either cover the hole or work over to get things done. They were a lifesaver when we were beaten down by the heat.
  6. PurpHaze

It's quite some distance from that softball backstop to where we were working. These trees were part of a tree planting project where thousands of them were planted on school sites and city park/parkway/etc. areas.
  7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Trees = good
    grass = bad
  8. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Nice work Hayes, you wern't up here poking around the defences were you?
    The sensors did report some tall drink of potable with a can of purple marking
    paint in his holster.:laugh:
  9. PurpHaze

I have absolutely no control as to what is planted where. :)
  10. PurpHaze

Hell no... I'm still down here! :laugh:

However... I DID just pick up two new cases of Purple Haze Paint. :)