Can one man make a living at this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 021462, Sep 8, 2002.

1. 021462

021462 LawnSite Member

Just started in the Lawn business this past May. After 17 years in the dot com business I was asked to leave (laid-off) early and pursue another career! I have been doing fine so far but the question always comes to mind when I sleep, "what will I do in Dec, Jan, & Feb". I only have one year round contract and I am owner operator. All my accounts are residental except for one. Just starting out is scarry! Any advice from those of you in my shoes? Thanks ahead of time!

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

The reality of your question plagued me for 6 winters. During the summer I made a good living, but living the good life in the summer did NOT allow for any saving for the winter months.

When a house payment found its way into my life I had to have year around employment. And made the decision to sell LCO and start hauling cars.

3. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

get you a little winter time job delivering pizza, news papers etc. next year talk to your customers and put them on the 12 month plan, tell them you need to draw income year round, explain to them they will be writing less checks, the payment will be the same each month, and it will be less hassle for both partys...

4. Bob's Lawn

Bob's Lawn LawnSite Member

Same exact situation for me, I was in the dot com industry and asked to leave (laid off) last March. I started my company and have been asking the same questions. This winter I will have to get a job, but I plan on not having to next winter. I will raise prices a little and put all profits from add on sales to winter living. I will try to live on just regular services during the summer.

We will see how this goes. If I do enough leaf removals, aerating, overseeding, etc. this fall, I might be able to buy some more equipment for next year.

Good luck

5. Balance, budgets, are the key.

A little snow don't hurt here either.

6. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have been in this game and it can be real tough in the winters. Here the last mowing will usually be around the first of November, some will stop services in the first of October or middle of the month. I don't spend hardly any money the month of sept on , just bills/rent. I am looking at buying another guy out which will require me getting further in debt. I don't have the money but if I don't buy him out another guy is going to. If the other guy gets his business then I will be screwwed. He has some great accounts! Only about 21 mowing accounts but they are good ones all residential and most are real nice lawns for around here and he gets good money for them ! So winter will be especially tough for me this year. Even though I have a part time job that I can make around $860 month take home It will be real tough though this winter! Bills are around $1400
    My advise get a seasonal job part time ? I have a part time job that allows me to work 25 hours a week in the spring through fall and then 32-34 in winter months so it helps alot in the winter
    If I get the other guys accounts and his pickup then I can hopefully buy a larger trailer or get a rig with a dump on it and keep current trailer and get larger mower which I am lloking at right now ! Good luck and take care

7. Propdoc

Propdoc LawnSite Member

A great way to make some extra money that I don't hear too much about on the forum is donating plasma. I make an extra $200 a month doing it and the plasma could help save someone's life. I spend about 4 hours a week donating. It's a good way to catch up on your reading, in fact that's what I do is read books that might help me in the business.

8. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

A winter job was really hard for me to get. Nobody wanted to hire a guy they knew would quit in a few months.
    Don't tell me that I would not have had to tell them that. I have heard it 100 times and can tell you it won't work. You put on your ap your last job, and list your self as the forman of that job. Dead give away.
    Besides I am not crooked enough to try some thing like that. I would not want an employee that wasn't honest enough to tell me up front.
    We don't get that much snow here to pay for equip, let alone make any $.

9. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I see you all over lawnsite and you dont even do LCO stuff anymore? DOH!

10. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member