1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can pavers be placed on existing ...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by njbillt, Mar 8, 2008.

1. njbillt

njbillt LawnSite Member

Can pavers be placed on existing sidewalks or steps if they are in good shape? And if so, what is the proper procedure? Thanks for any help, and if there is a thread on this already kindly point me to it.
  2. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

Yes they can. I've done it with pavers and flagstone. We used mortar. I've also heard of guys using PL Glue (same as what you'd use for gluing caps on a wall) as long as the steps that your applying the pavers to are level and in good shape. But I'd always suggest mortar. Process is just like if you were laying tile in your house. Just talk to your local supplier for the best type of mortar.
  3. capetrees

capetrees LawnSite Member
    from ma

They can if you're in a warm climnate. Freeze thaw will pop them in cold climates due to the moisture getting under the new pavers, glued or mortared. Be sure to use the paver lock sand in the joints to keep as much moisture out as possible.
  4. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Pavestone even makes an overlay line of products that are 1 5/8" deep and are easier for pads that don't have 3" of clearance to lay full-sized pavers.
  5. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

You want to use a geo-textile on top of the cement or asphalt overlay. Keeps the bedding sand from potential loss thru any current or future cracks. Also, polymeric sand should not be used on pavement joints on overlays, per the manufacture guidelines.

6. Majesticman

Majesticman LawnSite Member

We have done several large jobs including two commercial.

We glue down the two outer bricks including the solder course. One of the drives was done in 1985 and has handled many readimix trucks and dump trucks during two additions and a swimming pool. The joints were swept with sand and a plate run over to set the sand in. Not a single brick has come loose. This is a freeze thaw area.
  7. landstyles

landstyles LawnSite Member

You can do it in a cold climate. I'm in eastern Ontario, Canada. Can't get much colder. Haven't had any customers call back for loose pavers. Knock on wood.
  8. njbillt

njbillt LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the replies. I'm not really a contractor, but this isn't a large project, so I'm going to give this a try when the weather breaks. Thanks again.

9. AceFinish

AceFinish LawnSite Member

Yes you can just glue them down but you need to go through and drill 1 inch weep holes every 6 foot. Make sure you get down into down into the pea gravel below so the water will drain.
  10. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Wise words, except if he is covering a porch, or steps it won't be effective.