1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can People be Any Nastier!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by General Grounds, Dec 20, 2007.

1. General Grounds

General Grounds LawnSite Senior Member

:mad:I can not remember people being any nastier when i comes to leaves, we started late this year because the leaves fell so late, and the weather has been crappy, i think we sat around and didnt do much waitin for the wind, rain and snow to stop. People seem to think that the world is comin to an end beause there beds have afews leaves in them, i can think of 100 things to complain about than a few leaves on a lawn, whats up with people. I love the " wow, your really late this year, is everything ok". unreal, or " i know i asked to be last but i really thought wed be done by now" i cant stand it. sorry needed to vent a little. thanks Tony
  2. roguesuerte

roguesuerte LawnSite Member

Let it Go. With leaves you are damned if you do, damned if you don't. We have a number of people complaining because they will need a third cleanup, and actually some could use a fourth. Dont let things that you can't change, get you down. I am in NJ as well, the leaves fell late, thats-that. You may try to capitalize it in the future.
  3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Leaf work stresses me out almost as much as collecting payment for leaf work. It's rush, rush, rush until the work is done then they take their time sending the check. We will probably be expecting partial payment up front next year + heavy late fees with short terms.
  4. grapeford

grapeford LawnSite Member

I agree. I'm stressed because many of my properties could have and should have been done again. We've gotten early snow and it just keeps coming. I'm just happy to have gotten to everyone twice. Some folks I've gotten to 3 times *(out of necessity), and will be curious if they ***** about it. It was pretty dry around here from mid July, so I don't have a problem trying to make a little back in the fall.
  5. VisionsLandscaping

VisionsLandscaping LawnSite Member

I hate it when you have a clients lawn looking all nice and pretty then you come back a couple weeks later and theres leaves in their property again due to the lazy or cheapo neighbor beside them are letting their leaves blow into your lcients lawn!
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

People have to complain about something. Sucks that its directed to you. Hell we had fall one day and winter the next. I was a week later than many up here in Wisconsin and I was lucky to get all mine done and then in one day we got snow and it never left. The good lawns never had a chance to even brown out. They are in suspended animation.
    I think some people just naturally are stressed and complain about every little thing. As stated, you can't change it. I know its hard to not let it get under your skin. Time to make a few notes about the good and the bad customers. Next year should be the time to adjust for the PITA factor.
    Smile its almost Christmas!!!:waving:
  7. siklid1066

siklid1066 LawnSite Member

I did a clean up yesterday,it took me 3 times longer than usual do to wetness and ice.I was going to go out today but for what, to bust my hump.I just told the remaining cleanup accounts ,things have to melt and dry up a bit and your not the only one.(THEY WANT WHAT THEY WANT, IT WILL NEVER CHANGE) :cry::cry::cry:And then they will leave you hanging with your money:dizzy:
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It's likely too late this season, but for next year...

While saving the winter money, don't forget to stash some over top of that.
    I like to say at least a g or two over top, enough to cover some circumstances.
    This way leaves become optional, please lets play nice, I don't like them either.

Oh, and yes you have to save this money early, long before leaves start to fall, I like to start with this in spring.

Then it's all good, I don't think they've been on my case much, that helps a lot.
  9. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

It's not too late. As soon as the snow melts, i'm out finishing up my leaves.
  10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I know EXACTLY what your saying. So next year the people who bitched are getting done super early and they can enjoy being done earlier w/ leaves still falling. Maybe then they will get the point! On the other hand the people who did understand were my elderly customers.Hmmm...I thought it would be the opposite.