Can Rainbird ESP be paused?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Keith, May 12, 2006.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer call this evening with an interesting problem. He has a system using an ESP-8si and he wanted to know if it can be paused. He explained that, oh, around the zone 7 start, which is in the back yard, his dog wakes up and has to go out right then. I guess he does not hear them until the back starts, that's his alarm clock. So the customer has to shut down the system to let the dog out. He has either been losing the rest of zone 7 and 8, or he has been restarting the whole thing. He just wants to pause it for 5 minutes or so while the dog is doing his business.

I started to tell him to just shut it down at that point, then manual start/advance it back to zone 7 when the dog comes in. But I figured I would check to see if any of you knew if this controller could be paused or put on hold without affecting the current program. I can't even seem to locate a manual for and ESP right now. If there is no way to accomplish this, maybe a toggle switch on the common ground to the valves would give him this control. Of course he would lose a few minutes as the controller would still be going, but I think he could adjust in a few extra to compensate.
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I know that there is way to set the ESP to wait for a set time between zones, to replenish a slow filling well. I don't remember exactly how to do it, and I don't have a manual handy.

Another option if he isn't using every zone in the timer is to set up a empty zone in between zones.
  3. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

He needs to train that damn dog.
  4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

He could always run a wire from the controller to his back door, and cut off the valve power before letting the dog out, and restore power when done.
  5. Set zone 7 for 1 minute....then set zone 8 for 15 minutes w/ no wire hooked to it.....then run a jumper to zone 9 from zone 7 and set normally....
  6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Not according to the manual on the Rain Bird web page. :)
  7. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Tony,

Thats an ESP 8si, no zone 9 to jump from. He may be able to wire a sensor bypass switch at the back door to suspend the station. When the dog comes back in just turn it back to normal.
  8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I probably didn't make it terribly clear, but I think you guys understand what I was getting at. I had thought about using a toggle switch mounted in a box. The toggle switch (near the controller) would just interupt the connection in the common ground, close any of the valves that were on, while the controller continues to run through the program. I had not thought about a bypass on the back porch. That is a possibility, as the rain sensor is mounted near that location, while the controller is in the garage. Not to mention, if the supply house has it in stock, a much easier solution.

But rather than use the bypass switch to bypass the rain sensor, it would be used to interupt the ground, like the rain sensor. I borrowed these pics from Hunter and maybe RB, and modified one of them to describe what I would be doing.

The first diagram would be the typical use of the bypass switch. That comes straight from Hunter literature.

The next picture is the one I modified to show how I would wire it.

rain sensor 4.jpg

rain sensor5.jpg
  9. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I like the rain sensor bypass idea...

I am designing a pretty big system off a lake and the guy has a similar request. He wants to be able to turn off the sprinklers from the kitchen area which leads to the porch. He can see the lake from there and sometimes the sprinklers are on (with his old system... he totally renovated the house and now needs a new system) when people are walking by the lake and he doesnt want to get them wet.

he was also thinking about getting a remote... I have the ICR remote from Hunter but only use it to winterize so I really don't know that much about it. Can I leave the receiver plugged in constantly and have the timer function normally? If so, can he leave the transmitter upstairs in the kitchen so that if they are on while he's there he can turn it off from the remote?

also... he has some pretty tiny beds that will need some drip or soaker hose... am I going to be in trouble if I run a very small flow rate off this pump? I'm searching for the answer right now in my books but I figured you'd guys have some opinions

also... resident pvc plowing guy... pm me if you want or post.. but I don't know how to plow pvc. I haven't designed it yet but it looks like I'm going to have to trench to the front yard. Might end up being 2'' pvc up there and I have to run 220 and 110 wire in a conduit up along with it.

sorry to hijack the thread with numerous topics... but if i dont get enough responses I'll start a new thread
  10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'd reccomend trenching because you won't be able to pull 2" with two 1" conduits at 18".

Told you to buy that trencher attachment :D

I've pulled up to 2.5" but it humps the ground up real bad.