Can Riders Make You Lazy?????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tn Lawn Man, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I was reading another post about walkbehinds and riders that made me chuckle a little because it showed a tendency with LCOs and laziness.

In my area I have gained several accounts that other LCOs have passed on because I have a walkbehind as one of my mowers.

Many LCO's now only have one ZTR as their mower and refuse to do any lawns that require anything else (walkbehinds or 21"). Furthermore, many are buying 60" decks and bigger that will not fit through many gates.

Well, in my part of the world we have alot of hills, and the builders of these newer subdivisions have become cheaper and cheaper when grading the lots, leaving many hills that would not do well with a ZTR, especially if it is wet.

However, any decent walkbehind will have no trouble cutting them. It is just a little more work man handling the mower than sitting on your butt and riding up and down.

Anyway, I have had more than one new customer say that they have had other LCOs pass on their yard because of this. And, these are good/easy yards to do, especially with the right mower. These LCOs will not even do them at a higher price. They just pass.

Is this occurring in your areas? Is this the trend of the "New LCO"?

Just killing time between the rain drops.
  2. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Yes some are lazy but they still try to use the ZTR to cut where a walk behind is needed. Guys around here think a ZTR will go anywhere. I drove past one last week that slid down a drainage ditch. It was in at least 6" of mud. The operator had two of his buddies trying to push it out.
  3. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I hope it is a trend. I like the small ones. Use a 36" and 21" In and out in 20 minutes. Bring em on.
  4. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yeah i've been noticeing that i'm getting very lazy, i don't like pulling anything out of my trailer that i can't sit on
  5. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think they make you lazy, just fat.
  6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

It is really depending on where you live and how geography looks, but out in the open area there is almost none a chance to beat the Z even you have a Stander or 60" Turf Tracer/sulky, out in the open big lawn Z win hands down ( in term of speed and time saved nothingelse).
    But those open large acreage lawns are becoming extinct as houses get smaller and so do lawns. I have a few accounts in 300k + neighbor which are built so close and it is almost impossible to save time with Z, but still people try to justify their Z on those yards. It is really depend on where you cut, as for me, WB is more important than Z , with sulky I can do hills many slopes that can not do with a Z, so you have to see where it all coming from.
    It 's better off carrying both Z and WB , a 52 and a 52 on trailer. Down here you can't afford to skip a lawn cause you can not ride your Z, you will be beaten out of market in no time, stiff competition, never say no unless those are not lawns or lawns infested irrevocably with weeds then I pass.
  7. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

If you can't work smarter, you got to work harder. Keep on pushin' those 21".
  8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am glad I never have seen any companies here usin z's. The only things I see is 36"ers and the occasional 52" stander. The only companies I ever have seen with a z is big companies like true dead and prickman.
  9. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

That is definitely becoming the case around here in northern VA, and I hear from people now and then who obviously don't like the ZTR. On my mailers to some of these communities with small lawns, I advertise that I do not use big riding mowers. Not sure how much it helps, but I'm sure it does draw a few.
  10. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

I don't care to ever push another mower. If I couldn't ride, I wouldn't be in this business.