Can somebody explain the difference....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by crazycritterguy, Jun 25, 2005.

1. crazycritterguy

crazycritterguy LawnSite Member

Or at least their own observations with the different blade styles... I run a Scag Turf tiger, 27 Kohler, 61" cut...just for my own mini farm...love the machine, but it's time to sharpen the blades that came with it...just made 100 hours...found a few rocks on the way...anyway, WHAT EXACTLY IS THE DIFFERENCE between the standard, high lift, and wide high life blades? I don't mulch the grass, just throw it. Are the "specialty" blades like raptors worth the $$$? Anyway, let me know what ya' think. Thanks!

2. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Last few sets of blades I've tried are the Mamba Hi-Lift mulching blades from j-thomas, they are a thicker blade (.250) than the standard (.204) but I can't really say I'm sold on them after trying a couple sets. I have a Scag TT 23 hp/lc kaw w/ a 52" deck and a Tiger Cub 19 hp kaw with a 48" deck tried the blades on both. They may be good for use in the early part of the season when the turf is thick and very healthy. I have been kicking around just ordering the standard blades (12 for each mower for the discount) and seeing how that goes. I really had no problem with the standard blades that came with the mowers.

just my .02

-Geoff

3. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member