1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can someone answer this question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ubirajara83, Mar 23, 2007.

1. ubirajara83

ubirajara83 LawnSite Member

So was out giving a quote today and the guy thought my price was to high and he asked me can i do it half of the time so once a month on winter and twice on summer. I told him i could but wouldnt recommend it bc its bad for the grass. Bad meaning i always hear its bad to cut more the a certain amount each time and he said how is it bad. I had no answer and felt like an idiot can someone explain.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

each time the grass is cut, it endures a certain amount of shock. As grass grows, there are various parts of the plants' anatomy. I'm not going to get in to all the parts, but I'll break it down to the basics. When the grass grows too high, you are cutting into the stem. The plant does not produce its adequate or potential amount of leaf structure, then. The leaf is VERY important to the physiology of the plant. Furthermore, as another result of this, photosynthesis - the greenng of the plant, cannot be adequately done, because so much of the leaf is chopped off. When it DOES grow, it is allowed to grow to extents that it blocks sunlight from evenly hitting all parts of the plant. S< YOU ARE GOIN FROM ONE EXTREME TO THE OTHER> The grass never looks it greenest, never transfers the foods through the plant properly, and never looks full, because the stem was allowed to grow too tall and ends up being cut into (again, back to the leaf not being able to develpop fully). There is actually much more - MUCH MUCH more to it than this, but this is the jest of it.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Runner is right...however you usually can't sell these people on keeping their turf healthy. They are just cheap people. Don't want to cut it themselves, and don't want to pay someone to cut it either. They just don't care, and they make for a lousy customer. And you'll likely never sell this guy on any 'extras'.

When I first started, I fooled myself into thinking I needed the work or I needed a customer, ANY customer, but I ALWAYS ended up regretting it.
  4. ubirajara83

Good advice. And this idiot just moved into a million dollar house dont know how they could be so cheap
  5. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

You should have told him " Yes, for double the money"
  6. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

Unless You Have 40 Hours A Week Work Take Anything You Can, Its Exposer And Money. I See Guys Say That They Won't Do This And They Won't Do That But If You Can Use The Work (and Money) Why Not. Once A Month, Twice A Month, Whatever. I Wouldn't Worry About The Grass Condition Either. If The Homeowner Wants It Cut That Way And You Could Use The Money. (i'd Be Cuttin)
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You have to balance, in your first year or two, these factors vs. your existing customer base...
    Unless you have a nest egg you can draw from, chances are you may have to take on a few like that.
  8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Good link fore info

General rule of thumb in FL turf is "1/3 rd rule" never cut more than 1/3 the total height

If ya need the work ....I understand this ...but down here in FL ...you'll never ...n that means in the long run... make down here on "per cut's' ...it's monthly billing based on a yearly agreement or I'm packing

N customers like this are .... or will be a PITA

GL this summer

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I hate to say this but I agree with you for once Topper :laugh:

He may really need that job...but he WILL regret it really quick...:laugh:
  10. ubirajara83

where in florida are you from fantasy lawn. Ya i need as many customers as i can get for now at least