1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Can someone educate me on rock hammers.

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by DirtMerchant, Feb 3, 2010.

1. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant LawnSite Senior Member

Specific application will be breaking oversize into small enough chunks to get into the jaw.

Either Loader, or Excavator applications.

Or any thoughts and ideas. Just need want to learn a little.

2. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

They wear the crap out of a machine.

You get bounced around a lot in one

You have your teeth shaking after a day on a hoe-ram

Plastic explosives,C-4,C-6,C-8 etc in small quantities does a fatser job :drinkup::laugh:

Don't put them on a machine that's new,and prfefearbly on you don't care for.

3. DirtMerchant

12,800 hour old ex300 with a brand new isuzu is the likely candidate. Explosives aren't an option.

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

IF your teeth are rattling, you are doing something very wrong, never have I rattled my Dad's mini excavator and hammer, run the engine at half speed and don't put anymore down pressure on the point, like if the tracks are off the ground, that's too much, keep the point straight up and down or parallel with the ground with forward pressure, no prying, and let the hammer do the work, don't pound on the point.
    Use the cracks in the rock as a guide as to where the weak points are, they can save major time breaking.

5. DirtMerchant

I'd rep you if this board had a reppin system ron.

6. bobcat_ron

Me no speak street slang. Rep? Reppin?

Engrish prease. :laugh:

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing I can add to what Ron said is to grease every couple hours in small amounts. I greased the carrier twice per day when I ran a hoe mounted breaker and every 2-3 hours for the breaker itself. Not a massive lube job, just a few pumps every so often.

8. DirtMerchant

The other forum I post on has a rep system. Where you can plus or negatively rep users for their posts. Once you rep someone you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can rep them again. Your rep is displayed. It was suppose to be used for getting rid of unwanted guests. It just turned into a popular contest.

So, er

Thanks

9. bobcat_ron

Oooohhhhh, that's odd.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Rock breakers are very rough on machines they cause boom cracks, cause problems with the hard piping on the machine. You need to use lexan or shatter proof windows in the machine.

If your putting a rock breaker on a 300 size machine plan on paying atleast 80to 100 grand for the breaker if its new.