Can someone explain this plz?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Freddy_Kruger, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

Below is a quote but I don't understand it. Does it mean that you can cut grass and only bag it on the 4th cut or 4th week?

I thought you had to bag it everycut especially in the heavy growing season unless you can mulch it.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It looks like this quote does mean to bag it every 4th cut (although I've never heard of such a practice). Anyway, if it is done right, you can get by without even bagging it at all. Oh yeah,.....occasionally, there is a need to bag - especially in some tight areas wher there is no place to put the clippings (disperse). There are several techniques available to avoid bagging though, and it is about down to a science. It gets pretty involved in what type of blades are used for different conditions, and of course there are always variables involved with different types of mowers, turf conditions, weather (humidity/moisture), etc..

3. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Basically they are saying that they will let the "unbagged grass" sit on the lawn for the first 3 cuts of the month. The fourth cut they will bag in hopes that the grass from the first 3 cuts will come up too. I think they are trying to do this to save time and frustration. Personally, I never bag and if a customer wants me to bag, they aren't my customer very long.

4. Freddy_Kruger

I was wondering about that because I want to get a ride on (even though I only have two customers: I'm expanding into lawncare, I'm just trying to learn, don't care if I make money just don't want to lose any) and they don't have baggers unless you get real expensive ones.
    I got a bad leg so I won't be mowing to many lawns, I will get ppl to do that but I wouldn't mind pitching in with a ride on mower.

I wonder If I have a false perception about bagging? I thought it was industry standard, everything gets bagged.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Out of all the accounts we have I can only think of 2 that want it bagged every week. They don't want grass clippings on there lawn. It all depends on where you live.

6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

now we know that bagging robs the turf of valuable nitrogen.... i mulch just about everything, looks great.... i read somewhere that proper mulching can even help maintain the proper amount of thatch, so dethatching can become redundant

also seems to be a local thing, some places everone bagges, some places they dont... weird...:)

7. Freddy_Kruger

I think it's like that here in winnipeg I've seen ppl advertise that they will take the bags away with them:confused:

I'm going to try and sell mulching over bagging I think. Still got about 6 weeks to go before the season starts.