Can someone give me a tutorial in fertilizers?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CurbAppealCounts, Feb 28, 2008.

1. CurbAppealCounts

CurbAppealCounts LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Please forgive me for being new, but can someone explain what the different numbers in fertilizers mean?
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

3. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

The numbers on a fert bag are percentages. For example 10-10-10 is 10% Nitrogen, 10% phosphorus, and 10% potassium. If you have a 50 pound bag, only 30% (10+10+10) is actually fertilizer. The numbers expressed of a bag of fert area always those three macro-nutrients and in that order, NPK.
  4. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What was that saying I used to know?????? Ah here it is.
    All Around
  5. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Google is your friend. Seriously, not being a wise arse. Go to all the fert company sites. Lebanon, Anderson, Lesco, even Scotts. Then look at some reports from universities, and find out which one runs your local cooperative extension. You won't learn what you need to learn here.... do some research, then ask questions here once you have a knowledge base.

You need to know what type of grass you are treating, and then learn what it needs to be fed. Overdressing can also add to the health of a lawn, and should not be overlooked.
  6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

IMO. Most of what you will learn is over use of NPK. The idea is to sell as much as you can get away with thereby making money.

You will learn how to use what is needed by paying attention to your lawns as you cut back on the 'recommended levels'.

Rule Of Thumb: ... Every lawn is different and has different requirements.

The first application to eliminate safely is the early spring one. Good luck :)
  7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

. . . not for our friend in Atlanta. Southern turfgrasses are entirely different, and some desparately need that first spring application.
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the heads up. I need to qualify that statement from now on, applying to northern climates and grasses.
  9. comfortlawn

comfortlawn LawnSite Member
    from fl

Ck Your Local Extenion Office They Are Great Info And Know What Works Best In Your Area
  10. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

The numbers represent percentages by weight of the nutrients in the bag. 10-10-10 would mean 10% of each nutrient. If the bag is 50lbs. then you have 2.5lbs each of N, P, & K.