Can someone give me the ins and outs on workmans comp

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jay12, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jay12

jay12 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I have spoke with insurance agents on adding workers comp and paying help the way I am supposed to. Can someone enlighten me on workmans comp all around, I know little to none about it. I just know I have to have it. What should it cost per hundred for lawn maintenance, what do I need to do, etc. Any information would be great, thanks.

2. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member

3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Be sure you read the rate classifications and choose the one that fits your service. We followed the "agents" direction after answering a few questions and come to find out after 8 years we have been paying the wrong rate. To the tune of 30-K :dizzy: more than we should have. We are now in the process of trying to get it refunded.

The only way we found out was while doing our do diligence on a another company we were trying to buy. We thought their work comp numbers were low but come to find out ours were too high all those years.

5. fl-landscapes

fl-landscapes LawnSite Silver Member

the gov puts it in and out frequently and hard.....that about sums up the ins and outs of workmans comp:dizzy:

6. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

you really don't need it if you are Solo.

7. jay12

from KY

If I was solo I wouldn't be asking

8. cade03

cade03 LawnSite Member

you should be able to get coverage for around 8.00 per hundred of payroll for general lawn maintenace and gardening. stay away from tree work, that will more than double your rate. if you have to do tree work, make sure that you have specific emplyees that are listed to do this work and not just everyone on your crew. it wouold be a good idea to list the exact amount of those employees pay that was earned doing tree work. everyjob has a different rate and you can exempt yourself and any other officers in the company. that way you dont pay anything for your personal pay. good luck

9. Robert Pruitt

Robert Pruitt LawnSite Senior Member

my bad did not see that in your profile.

10. jay12

from KY

No problem

All the quotes I am getting are telling me that general lawn maintenance will cost me around $10.00 per hundred. Thats the best rate so far atleast, some were higher.