1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can someone help me decide on a utility vehicle, like JD gator or such.

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by clydesdale, Mar 2, 2008.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

This will be for an onsite employee at a condo complex. He will need to travel from building to building with paint cans and such. No heavy hauling or plowing. Thanks
  2. I was going to say the Kubota RTV900 or RTV1100. How much are you looking to spend? Cub Cadet also makes a good one. If your looking for something alittle smaller than look at the RTV500 which wont be out until around sept.
  3. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

I like the john deere gators myself
  4. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

The only experience I have with this type of vehicle is with the John Deere Gator in the urban search and rescue environment. All the Gators we have used on deployments have performed reliably under extreme abuse, and the little diesels use next to no fuel. I suspect the Kubotas would have similar durability.
  5. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad traded a diesel Gator HPX last month for a diesel Husqvarna HUV. The HUV may be a little more rugged than what you need, though. It is a very well built off-road workhorse. For hauling general stuff on an industrial property, you may want to check out something like an EZ-GO Workhorse. The grounds maintenance department at my university has several of these to haul supplies and equipment around, like pine straw bales, grass seed, walk behind mowers, trimmers, and blowers. They even have trimmer racks on at least one. I've seen them tow a tiny trailer, like 4x6, behind them with walk behind aerators and other equipment.
  6. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to work it buy the Kubota, we have over 250 hrs on our RTV and love it.The JD is ok but they seem to have a weak trans,but for what you are going to do it would be fine, but then again so would a golf cart at a third of the price.
  7. john_bud

john_bud LawnSite Member

Don't forget the originals - Kawasaki Mule. The small 600 series is probably all you need. They are not fancy, just dead reliable.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I had nothing but problems with Gators. The ones I had were 6x4. It may be that I bought them right when they came out and the bugs weren't worked out. I bought a Club Car XRT and am extremely happy, not to mention that the XRT is cheaper in price. Stick with the manufacturers that have been making utility vehicles for golf courses (E-Z-Go, ClubCar, Cushman, Toro, etc). They have been doing this for decades and have proven records.
  9. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

My dad has A RTV Kubota and loves it, but that is going to be overkill for what you say you need it for, I would go with a golf cart, there going to be way cheaper and they take some abuse.
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

how about a golf cart.....

I have 4 Old john deere gators....my only gripe with them is that the bed are not big enough.....I have a 2003 Polaris ranger 4x4, that has spent more time in the shop. I do have 3 of the Vantage Mini Trucks with dump beds....which I love.

but we also use a lot of golf carts, and the electric ones are especially so freeking reliable. no gas to mess with, runs for a couple days on a full charge.... and the gas one are easy to work on just a twin cylinder air cooled engine..

My next utility style vehicle is going to be a Club car carry-all 6 in electric.

I also have an ezgo-875 flat bed which hauls around my pressure washer stuff. and it does well....