Can someone help out

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mrk'sLawn, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Mrk'sLawn

Mrk'sLawn LawnSite Member

I took on a new customer for seasonal pruning. She has many shrubs and is a great customer. One who writes little notes on the return with payment portion of her bill. Anyway, She wants me to do her gutters on her ranch home. I've never done it but I can't imagine it's too hard. She got a quote from a guy several towns over from us for 450.00 but she said she would rather have me do it. I was thinking of coming in lower on the quote like 100.00 This is mainly because I have never done it. It's a small ranch.. Any thoughts. Another thing. She has a LCO doing her lawn now and they do a horrible job. No trimming that I can see and no edging at all... I talked to the LCO once when we were both there and he said he charges her 30.00.. I would normally get 45.00 She wants me to show her what it will look like edged.. I think if I do it for her I could get the account.. Is that stepping on the other guys toes? I think because I'm doing other work I can get her to make the switch.. Just wondering what others would think...

2. sbc1971

sbc1971 LawnSite Member

I can clean gutters on the avg. ranch home(about 75') in about an hour or so.$450.00 is alot more then what I would charge.Someone will surely post a price per foot.As for the edgeing,if she wants to see her lawn edged and serviced properly,show her.You should explain that this other LCO could edge and trim also, although his price would be at least $15.00 more then he is charging currently.

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ofcourse you should edge it and take the account if you can. You did say you will have to charge MORE to do the job right??? Then you are king of your profession. Anytime you can get a job and charge MORE for the work, you have won the war, and the battle!

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Is she a good customer??????? She does not have her LCO trimming her bushes???? She does not have you cutting her grass???? She is shopping prices on gutter cleaning. Just because she writes notes on the bill does not make a good customer. What have you done for her that makes you think she is good. A good customer is the one that says-- "After you are done cutting the grass and trimming the bushes- Could you please clean the gutters and just send the bill" Without asking for a price.

$450 to clean gutters on a reach WOW how big is it. How bad are they?
    If you want the work -- give a price that is fair to all and see if she wants you to do it. Never worry about any other LCO or any other company but yourself. You are not stealing work. She is putting it out to bid and asking what you do. Keep moving forward.

5. Mrk'sLawn

I pruned her shrubs and she paid right away. Also, gave me a referral for another property for shrub pruning as well and the property is very large with many shrubs.. It is a 600,000.00 home based on zillow.com.. I would consider her a good customer. I think I may be able to get her as a lawn customer too.. Thanks for the advice.. I worry too much about stealing someones work. I just thinnk how I would feel. But that will be setting me up for failure. Moving forward!:weightlifter:

6. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

Don't ever worry about stealing someone's work except for LCO's that you sub-contract with or in which you work with one another. If no one stole someone's work then you would never get new customers.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

But you are not stealing. you are providing a service that is more of what that customer wants than the other LCO.
    Stealing would be like cutting accounts right before the real LCO gets there and collecting for the work posing as the real dude or company. That would be wrong. A customer makes a decision to go with whoever he chooses. Thats business.

8. Mrk'sLawn

I dropped off my estimate this morning and did some edging for her and before I was even finished with the edging she signed the contract for the gutters and brought it out to me. Plus, the woman she referd to me for shrub work was very excited to see me. That is a good thing. She and her husband spend much time in Florida and are leaving the end of June. She assured me that I will be getting paid on time because while they're gone her husbands local office handles all the accounts.. Today was a very productive day so far and it's not even over yet. Maybe I should call it a day and end it on a good note...

9. firefightergw

from Texas

I think he was using the word "stealing" in reference to taking business from another LCO. I am pretty sure that is how everyone else took it too except for you I guess.

10. firefightergw

from Texas

Don't quit today. Keep going. I have found that when you are having a really good day it usually stays that way if you keep at it.:clapping: