Can someone ID this fungus?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, Aug 8, 2005.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

This fungus will not go away and is just getting worse. It's just about everywhere on my lawn now - some areaa completely brown, some mixed, others green but small spots on the blades. What can I do to stop this? :confused:

fungus 2.JPG

fungus 3.JPG
  2. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, not to be rude, but why stop it?....if the grass is so weak that its getting that type of fungus, maybe its a "Blessing in Disguise"......"As an Organic Lawn Care Provider", thats what I tell my clients, We have never used a "Fungicide" in over 15 yrs of operation!!!!!!!!!....have you soil tested? thick is the thatch? do you irragate?.....and when?......other than brown lawns from stress [ no irragation]....thinks its time for a renovation, the whole lawn, to incorporate a healthier blend that endophyte enhanced [ to repell surface insects] and has a good amount of dwarf type tall fescues [ disease resistant]....use a vertical slicer, so this new blend is now incorperated with / through out the whole lawn....even now my lawns are only irragating about 3-days per week [ in 90-100 degree days] :waving: :cool2: :angel:
  3. TScapes

TScapes LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like Brown Patch. With all the rain and heat that you all have had this summer, it is inevitable that Brown Patch would run wild in your area, just as it has here.

If you want to treat it yourself, there are several products that you can pick up at various stores (Pikes Nurseries, HDepot, Lowes, etc.). You just want to explain to a salesman that you have Brown Patch and you need a product to treat it. Now there are liquid and granular products. Either one is fine, as you will have to retreat the areas again in about 10-14 days (read the label). Make sure that you treat the entire lawn, though if it is concentrated in just one area, you can concentrate on that. Keep in mind that it can spread by mower blades, so it can pop up somewhere else in your lawn if not entirely treated.

Good Luck!

Also, I agree with Nocutting, in that you will need to "renovate" your lawn this Fall.
  4. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

This is my first year working with lawns. I know that I have to reseed and lime and all that but I'm not sure how to do it. I've read about using a core airator and reseeding but I've never read about a verticle slicer. Is there a good reference web site you can point me to for more info on renovating the lawn? Also, I would like to reseed with some good fescue seed but I'm not sure what to get. I've got Millennium Tall Fescue. Some of it looks great, it's just thinned considerably. I'm not sure if I should buy the same seed or try mixing with another breed. And thanx for taking the time to answer my questions. This is a great site.
  5. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

It may be grey leaf spot. Looks like St Augustine grass form the pic, if so let Trugreen handle it. Its a headache, I promise, multiple applications required and will still probably come back next year. I hate st. augustine, may be different there, I was in Montgomery at the time.
  6. WarEagleCRL

WarEagleCRL LawnSite Member

Also, it wont look much better until the humidity goes down, maybe by the dormant season