Can someone ID this weed?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by andyslawncare, Jun 8, 2013.

1. andyslawncare

andyslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Its the broadleaf with red berries. Leaves seem to be in groups of 3. Will image kill it?

Its 3-4'' tall viney and is taking over a few bedded areas at 3 of my properties. The bed areas include liriope spicata, iris, hosta, pachysandra, liriope muscari, and mondo.

I'm also wondering if Image will kill variegated vinca? I have variegated vinca in a bed of variegated liriope.

PIC_4165.JPG

2. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Wild strawberry.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

4. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Wild strawberries really have great taste unless there is too much rain during their development... :)

5. andyslawncare

Can anyone recommend an over the top to kill it in a liriope bed? I'm already planning an Image mix on this property and image is labeled for over the top of liriope... Just don't like to waste chemicals if nothing is done.

6. windflower

windflower LawnSite Bronze Member

It's false strawberry (potentilla) not wild strawberry https://www.google.com/search?q=fal...SHYT29gT51IGYCw&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=677 If the bed is not big it is pretty easy to pull. A little while back there was a discussion here on using speedzone on liriope. Several people said they had used it with no effect on the liriope http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=404817 You can tell it's false strawberry by the lumps on the surface and total lack of taste if you eat one. Also this has yellow flowers not white like strawberries

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  7. buddee

buddee LawnSite Member

You can spray trimec safely over liriope for broadleaf weeds.

8. windflower

Guess I'm guilty of not reading well. The iris and hostas will likely be damaged or stunted by most any herbicides. I have an iris bed that never amounted to much until I quit all herbicide applications and started hand weeding. Hostas seem sensitive to all of the herbicides I've ever sprayed near them. Current years leaves are damaged and the following year they will be very small. I'd either hand weed or paint the leaves with herbicide straight from the bottle using a small brush.

9. andyslawncare

Hosta is listed as a tolerant ornamental on the image label.

I'll do a trial with speed zone over liriope next time I'm mixed with it. Have had solitaire in the backpack for a few weeks now--i'm testing it over the top a few perennials with it now.

10. windflower

I'd like to know how that works out.