1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Can someone identify this weed please?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Armadillolawncare, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This thing is growing like crazy in the mulch. Can anyone tell me what it si?

2. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Appears to be Elm seedlings from the mulch...but I could be wrong.
  3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

They look like American Elm seedlings to me.
  4. harddog00

harddog00 LawnSite Member

did you try weedalert.com ?
  5. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Oklahoman Dortchess Weed
  6. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

Those are elm trees, dude.
  7. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

but those weeds you have there will grow to be 100 feet tall, or more under the right conditions. :laugh:
  8. Now, if you had a dense stand of turf, you might not be asking this question
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I *HATE* Elm trees! And that's what you have growing there. At least at the stage they are in there you can actually PULL them up! Once they get to be about a foot of so tall, you try to pull them and they have as much or MORE root than they have tops.

Just kills me when people just let them grow up, especially in fence lines. What would have taken a few seconds to pull out 10 years ago is now costing $1,000 to have removed by a tree service!
  10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Spent many years in central Texas (best State in the USA) working for ChemScape. I don't think these are elms. Winged elms are prolific the farther east you go in the Great state of Texas, so you might want to check the mulch, and see if you can find "winged bark" on some of that mulch.....if you do, then it could be winged elm. But my best guess from the pics is that is in the red oak family.