Can someone please provide pictures for me??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Liquidfast, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am removing the grass from a customers backyard and looking to replace it with what I call "an Arizona backyard". There is NO grass, just mulch, some hedges and shrubs and that's all. The key being NO grass. If anyone could supply an image or two or ten I would appreciate it.

TIA

2. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Perhaps Xeriscape design is what you are looking for. Not sure how well it will work in Ontario, based on weather and rainfall, but heres some "grassless" shots from round here. These are true "Arizona Backyards"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres some others from different places.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Thank you very much, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for. The customer I have has a tiny backyard and positioned in such a way as nothing grows well. Can you please tell me what product is used as the layer?, or I guess the base....Is it just mulch?

I have a couple more questions but I ll start there........thanks.

4. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

These pics are far from Xeriscape (beautiful pics HOSK!), there is not much arid about the PNW!

If you are removing the grass from the backyard, these may give you some ideas. Sometimes revmoving the grass is a good thing - you can really make a great area for gathering - a very pleasant destination.

1. Patio
    2. Seating area
    3. Plants in pots - color/herbs/greenscape
    4. Arbor
    5. Fountain
    6. Bench
    7. Grill
    etc, etc, etc....

Patio 1.jpg

5. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

another angle.

Patio 2.jpg

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

another one.

Patio 3.jpg

7. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

another pic.

Patio 4.jpg

8. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

one more time.

Patio 5.jpg

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Jameson- What a great garden area. That is more of a lush PNW kind of setup I would think.

Liquid- Do they not want grass because of maintenance or for some other reason. If they dont want to keep it up, you'll want to go for rockscapes and things like that. I dont know what the availability of that is where you are, but round here, any rock just site on top of the dirt with maybe some pre-emergent if the situation calls for it. Planters are a mulch/dirt mixture for drainage and retention of water throughout the soil. I guess the easy to care for design applies, but the climate and plants available down here is so much different from up there.