Can someone tell me what might be causing this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jweiner, Jun 3, 2010.

1. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

This lawn is in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. It is primarily a Bluegrass lawn. These dead patches showed up over a period of 3-5 days. There are no obvious signs of critters and the grass will not pull up. Any thought would be appreciated.

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04774.jpg

DSC04775.jpg

DSC04776.jpg

DSC04777.jpg

2. Zak's Pro. Lawn Care

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

i would really like to know as well because i just saw that this week in a yard around and near a tree...same whitish yellowish color and it is not a burnt out look either. i dont know what this is but would really like to know

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am not saying for sure this is what it is but you'll want to speak with your
    customer immediately and for several reasons, to show your concern, to ask
    them if they know anything about it (who knows, they might be aware of it and know why),
    also to see if they even care or if they want you to do something about it.

Now from my perspective it could be a number of things but it looks like a chemical spill,
    liquid fertilizer or weed treatment variety come to mind but again it could be something else as well.
    It also doesn't place fault, just have to keep an open mind.

That neighborhood looks nice, they probably have an irrigation system, perhaps
    despite the fact someone is treating the lawn it hasn't been turned on?

Again it could be anything...

So, talk with your customer.

4. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

we have been in a drought like period lately.

5. Cummins343

Cummins343 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Kansas

looks almost like gasoline to me

6. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

It isnt that serious of a drought. We are getting rain about 1 to 2 times a week right now and in the first 3 days of June we have recieved almost 1" of rain already. And look at the neighbors lawns nice and green. Along with the rest of the problem lawn. Who does the fert (if any on it) Looks like someone spilled something there. I would defenitally talk to them about it right away.

7. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

could be a broken sprinkler head? followed by a recent application, looks burnt, the pattern and color. I would check to see if its getting water, and start checking things off the list even if you are certian its not that.
    water
    fertilizer
    fungus
    bugs
    spill
    chemical applied by homeowner
    vandals.............

8. Knight511

Knight511 LawnSite Member

Bugs/drought don't kill grass in straight lines. You can see the straight lines fading off into the distant yard that are also turning yellow. I agree with the idea of it being a chemical issue... gas... herbicide... something was on the yard and then the mowers tracked it off in the distance in straight lines.

9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

drought damage....there could be other factors...but I doubt it. Remember...drought damage looks like this AFTER...not before or during.

10. jweiner

jweiner LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the helpful opinions. What would be the best way to reseed these dead areas?