Can the grass grow 7 inches in one week?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Sep 26, 2003.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

This week I'm helping a guy who's out of town. Nearly every one of his accounts had gosh awful long grass when I arrived. On the last account yesterday I was so frustrated I got out and measured the grass...it was 11 inches!!!! SUPPOSEDLY he mowed it last week at 3.75/ .Yes we've had hurricane rain, and more rain after that but none of my properties looked like these the past week. B4 I bust his chops when he returns today I wanted you ask if any of you have seen the grass grow 7 inches in 7 days??

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of grass is this anyway?
    Even under prime conditions, water, soil, light, nutrients, 7" seems very extreme, maybe not totally impossible, very very unlikely. Is it only at the one account? Anyone else in that neighborhood have a similar growth situation. Is there a UFO parked in the driveway, or a test grass sign in the yard?

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen some types of Fescue grow just about that much in a week under the right conditions Gary. Better hope your buddy gets back from vacation soon so you can hand him a can of whoop a**...LOL

4. GarPA

from PA

Its our typical morhtern mix...mostly thin bladed fescue with some blue. Actually most of his accounts looked this way..but not as high as 11". I cant believe Truburn fert'd all of these.
    Even my own yard which grows real fast doesn't do an inch a day...like you said RG...highly unlikely

Going to ask him if he turns the blades on when he mows....

5. Nope. I mowed one yesterday that got lost in the scheduling and was let go 16 days. The front wasn't bad but the back lawn is down by the creek. I was cutting off 3 to 4 inches back there. The Toro doesn't chop up the clippings so I could see what was being cut off. This wasn't fertilized but it is well established bluegrass.

I have a blanket of clippings on the lawn. I'll reschedule for 7 days to disintegrate the clippings. What did you do. Rake? bag? bale?:D

Dave

6. GarPA

from PA

Well Rod I love this business....but not the past 2 days... I was so freakin ticked off at him its good he was out of town. I might have said some things I would have regretted.

7. GarPA

from PA

Dave....he wanted it cut to 3.75...double cut was not adeqate....I had to go over the entire lawn I think 4 times and there was still a slight blanke of clippings left..bagging was out of the question since it was so large...on the last pass I said to h---with it and and quit.....and its a big one...about 1.5 acres...high end neighborhood...yep there's something fishy with this picture

8. Your Age 49 and holding
    Your Age 48
    Your Age 56

:D :D :D

I'll probably have to phone my son in a couple of hours to wake him to come to work.

It's still dark here. Is the sun up in NJ? PA?

Dave

9. GarPA

from PA

hah...you know they say the older a person gets, the less sleep they get...given that the 3 of us are heading for Geezer status that might explain our playing on LS when most normal people are sleeping. still dark at 630

10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'm only 41 and I'm on here..........what's up wi dat?

Am I a geezer too?

Let me find my teeth.